26| Welcome {Part One}

═ 𝙒𝙚𝙡𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙚 ═

[TW// threatening language]

Ari and Lancelot are confronted by the Fey and end up shocked by the return of an old friend. Squirrel receives some upsetting news.

As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you

It takes but a mere heartbeat for the world to change. A split second decision can turn the tables on fate, can end a life or save one. Her vivid dream of the arrow which had ended Lancelot's life in a heartbeat ran through her mind as if time had slowed to a tenth of what it should. She was right, the power of the dagger had sent her a vision the night before, and it had been a warning.

Ari moved just in time and stepped in front of the Ash man, guarding him with her body as she pierced holes in the eyes of the bowman in question with her own. The young archer, who was using a tree set a decent distance back from the path for cover, quickly tipped his bow away from being pointed at his queen, a look of horror and shock spreading across his tanned face.

"Ari," Lancelot grit under his breath for no discernible reason, practically feeling the tension in her body as she squared herself to shield him. Ari had rooted herself before him so suddenly that he didn't have time to react. He almost reached out to touch her side to try and make her relax but knew how that would appear, he could sense that the bowman was not the only one hidden amongst the trees.

"Come out, all of you!" Ari called out, her eyes remaining like fire on the Sky Fey holding the bow, practically still a boy. She knew she was stood close to Lancelot, but she did not care, she had seen how this would end in her nightmare and she was not going to let that happen. Her heart thumped away in the confines of her chest and for once, she was almost fearful of what her own people might do after seeing how those in Rea's camp had reacted to Lancelot's presence. It was not nice what they went through in that place, but at least in some way it made them more ready for what was to come.

They slowly appeared out from the trees and bushes at Ari's command, their weapons drawn as they began to surround the smaller group. There were ten of them, Fey of different kinds and clans but none looked as if they were a match for the skills of Ari and Lance who did not come here to fight anyway, both painfully resisting the urges to run their hands over their blades.

"Squirrel take the horses," Lancelot breathed as he tried to keep his composure. He was calm for now but growing more and more unsteady by the second as the Fey stalked closer and circled them. He felt again like a wounded animal, trapped and being rounded by vultures just waiting to have their feast.

"What?" Squirrel grit out as quietly as he could, eyes lifting up over towards the Ash man. He wasn't intending on going anywhere, he was the reason that they were here in the first place.