Chapter 27

(outfit inspo above)

Story note: this is set in current day, but covid is not a thing! (rip, wish it wasn't real irl)

also, pretend that in this book the sidemen house is still a thing!

The first time I started getting suspicious that something was being kept a secret from me was a week before my birthday. Harry and I were spending the night at the house, something to do with filming, and it worked out better because Dylan and Sam were at Sam's place. I didn't really fancy staying in my apartment alone.

It was me, Harry, Simon and Ethan in the kitchen, just talking and hanging out when the conversation had shifted onto what I wanted for my birthday. I'd told them I didn't really want much, Harry had pretty much spoiled me the last couple of weeks leading up to my birthday, and being surrounded by all of them, being able to call them my friends was a gift enough.

But obviously, they refused to take this as my answer, and eventually pressed me to say something I wanted. I'd gone with some shoes I'd seen whilst shopping in London, and a set of jewellery, too.

"You better not buy me that jewellery unless your name begins with a H and ends in a Y, though," I'd told them, giving them a sufficient warning. He'd smiled, and all had been fine until Ethan had opened his mouth.

"But I thought he'd already -" he had started to say, but after a small noise made subsequently after, it was obvious someone had punted him in the leg to shut him up.

The second time happened only a few days later, where myself and Freya had been chatting in Josh's room. I'd become close with her after the whole Cal situation, Harry had encouraged me to talk to someone alongside him and it made sense for it to be Freya - I saw her the most, as my time was spent between my apartment, Harry's place and the house.

We'd been talking about my birthday, I'd asked if she wanted to come over for dinner, seeing as  no one else would be planning anything, I was going to do it myself.

The suspicion arose when she had shut me down immediately after I had asked.

"No, sorry, we're - I'm busy that day," she had told me, but I had caught on to how she had said we're as a plural instead of I'm as a singular.

"Oh, that's alright! We can do something another day, then. It's probably better I don't stress myself out trying to organise something on my birthday," I reply, confused, and a little hurt she didn't want to see me on my birthday, but ignoring it anyway.

She seemed to do the same, changing the conversation straight after, talking about something or other Josh had done to piss her off yesterday.

And that brought us to today, two days before my birthday, August seventeenth. Everything had been normal, I'd been at my own apartment yesterday and today, I didn't have any particular plans, instead just spending the days trying to busy myself, which wasn't very hard when I scrolled on my phone for hours on an end.