Chapter 12- A Big Surprise

I can't wait to take a shower, finish my homework, and dive into bed when I get home. For some reason today's practice just really wore me out. I pull into the driveway seeing a silver van. Who's here? I open the door and realize quickly that I probably won't be diving into bed anytime soon. I see my Mom, Dad, and his Wife Dana sitting at the breakfast room table. I also can't help but notice the two small girls who can't be any older than four jumping on the coach and having a pillow fight. Why would they be in Boone?

“Jen. We need to talk.” Mom says sounding kind of nervous.

“Maybe I should talk to her.” Dad suggests also looking unsure.

“It's ok David.” Mom says quickly walking with me to my room upstairs.

“I know you have a lot of questions. But please let me try and explain.” She says taking a deep breath.

“Okay.” I answer calmly.

“Your father lost his job in Atlanta and they have nowhere to go. So I agreed to let them stay with us until he can find another place to work and they have a house.”

“Mom-

“I know it's a lot to take in but it's the right thing to do. Things will be really different around here for awhile though. I'm going to need your help ok?” She says sincerely.

I know Mom just wants to help them, and I think that's great. But this isn't fair to her. It isn't fair to us. Dad just left and now he expects for them to just walk in?

“How long do you think they'll be here?” I ask carefully, but I have a feeling she doesn't know.

“I'm not sure..I talked to Michael about it too. And he said he would help in any way he could.” Mom says smiling a tiny bit.

“Well that's nice of him.” I reply.

“Are you going to be ok with all this?” She asks rubbing my back.

“Yes. I will. Don't worry.” I tell her giving her a smile. She hugs me.

“You're the best. I'm sorry I haven't told you that lately.” She says sounding like she's about to cry. Oh dear. I'm a sympathetic crier.

“Thank you Mom.” I tell her hugging her tightly.

“So..David and Dana are going to be in the guest bedroom. And the twins are going to be in the office. Once I'm done moving some things..And Albie says he's fine in living room.” Mom explains.

“Albie?” I ask trying to remember who that is.

“Their son. I think he's in middle school.” She says sounding thoughtful.

“Why can't the twins stay in the living room?”-

“Now honey...Do you think it's smart to put preschoolers so close to the kitchen?” She laughs.

“Oh yeah...I didn't think about that..” Guess I'll be getting some earplugs.

~

I thought being a football player was hard. But I've never experienced living with four year olds. The office just happens to be right beside my room. I'm closing my eyes to sleep when I hear two small voices calling for their mom. And mom is downstairs. I sigh and crawl out of bed.

I open the door and peek inside turning on the light.

“What?” I ask. They're sitting on an air mattress with a lot of blankets and stuffed animals. They just look at me.

“Um..what's wrong?” I ask in a softer tone. I was being a little harsh. I get a little cranky when I'm tired.

“It's too dark.” Angelica says quietly.

“I'll get a night light.” I say trying to sound comforting and get one from my room and plug it into the wall.

“There we go. That should be good. Goodnight.” I say and close the door.

“No!” Amy shouts making me jump and open it again.

“What's wrong?” I ask turning on the light.

“It's scary in here.” She says pulling the blankets closer.

“Don't leave.” Angelica says.

“But I have to go to sleep too.” I try to reason. But I think I know what's coming.

“Sleep here.” She says smiling.

“I don't think

Amy's lip started to tremble. I sigh. This just keeps getting better.

“Alright. Let me get my pillow.” I tell them and they both grin, following me to my room where I get my pillow, and throw.

For a while I wasn't sure if they would ever start to feel sleepy and I knew I would feel terrible tomorrow. But Suddenly they were sleeping on either side of me. Thank goodness. Maybe this wouldn't become a regular thing. But I understand how it's scary for them. They're in a new place.