"And who told you that?"

"Richard."

"Well, Richard also told you a few years ago that the moon was made of cheese and you believed him for a whole week, so I'd err on the side of caution when listening to your classmate."

"He said that there're werewolves on other Shards." She ignored Ellie's comment and pointed at one of the distant, floating continents.

"Well, even if that is true, thank the Triad we live on the Shard that we do, because that means we don't have to worry about those things."

Ellie dropped the book back into her bag and tried skimming the list again, but Lillian continued and caused her to slap it against her side in minor frustration.

"I think it'd be neat to meet something like a werewolf, a vampire, a goblin, or a troll."

"Oh, for goodness sake," Ellie scoffed, and brought her hand to her forehead. "How are those last two even related? Either way, you know they'd all probably eat you."

"That might be true." Lillian tilted her head in thought. "But with how much garlic I eat, I would easily take out a vampire if one even tried."

"Ever looking for the silver lining, aren't you?"

"For the vampire's sake, they better hope I don't have a silver lining, or that would be bad for them. For the werewolf, too!"

The carriage ride lasted only a few more minutes before reaching the markets. Countless people filled the street, their cacophony of conversations melding into a chorus of haggling and gossip. Even after they had hopped off and Ellie began browsing the stalls, Lillian continued listing off one monster myth after another. Silver, garlic, wolfsbane, holy water, sunlight, and more. Ellie couldn't help but laugh at how Lillian practically treated these things as though they were gospel.

The sisters bounced from stall to stall and purchased each item on their mother's list. Finally, they approached the last one that they needed a particular herb from. By this point, they were more than ready to return home with their heavy bags fit to burst with vegetables and herbs. Ellie looked over the assortment as Lillian leaned on the stall's support beam and glared toward the hot summer sun.

"Why'd Irwin get out of coming to the markets this time, anyway?"

"You know why; his graduation exams are next week, so he needs to focus on studying this weekend."

"But why?" Lillian whined. "He's always studying, so his brain probably has all the exam answers, anyway!" She glanced over the herbs and spotted the one Ellie was in search of, then picked it up and handed it to her. "He's not much fun to play with, either. He can barely last thirty minutes before he shoves his nose back in the books."

"Again, you know why that is," Ellie sighed, then paid the merchant and thanked him. "It's less about studying and more about how you always beat him senseless with those wooden swords, even after Dad wrapped yours in cushions!"

"Well, I can't help that he's so soft and scrawny."

Having bought everything on the list, the sisters decided it was time to head home. Ellie stood on her toes and looked over the crowds to spot where a public carriage heading westward was stationed. Finding nothing, she adjusted the bag of vegetables on her shoulder and started down the street for a better look.

A welcome voice stopped Ellie and Lillian in their tracks, and from behind they saw a smiling elderly couple approach them. Lillian called back to their grandparents and practically skipped toward them with Ellie only a few steps behind.