Forgotten

"Annabella and Cassandra get up, it's time to get ready for school," my mom whispers tapping me and then going to tap my 6 year old sister next.

I woke up quickly but Annabella didn't. She was always a heavy sleeper. You could throw something at her, fall down and create a ruckus, or anything, the girl still wouldn't budge.

"Cassandra, wake up Bella please then iron your school clothes. I got to get ready for work. I got an early shift today." I nodded and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before pulling my heavy body out of the bed.

I opened the curtains letting my light, ebony skin soak in the sunlight. This would be my last ray of sunshine all day so I figured I'd might as well enjoy it for these few mere seconds.

I shared a room with my little sister even though there were 3 extra bedrooms, but Robert, my step dad, persuaded my mom that Annabella needed to be in someone's presence when she sleeps until she's about ten. No matter how much I knew that this was part of some malicious underlying motive of his, I agreed that she needed someone in her presence. And I definitely didn't mind her being in mind.

She was my best friend.

However, fortunately, my mom said that if we both couldn't have our own room then we get to have the master bedroom for the extra space.

Everything Robert did made me resent him even more. He brainwashed my mother into his little puppet. Blinded her until all she was saw was him instead of anything or anyone else. Including her own daughters.

"Come on Blue Bell, time for school," I yell shaking her small body that was still covered by the covers.

"No," she whines groggily, pulling the cover over her head.

"Get up unless ima call the cookie monster to eat all the cookies," I warned playfully. Annabella was always afraid of the cookie monster because she loved cookies and she thought he would eat her and all of the cookies one day. It was joke I'd told her a long time ago that has gotten out of hand.

I always kept the little toy in my top dresser to ensure that she was doing what I told her do. One glance at the cookie monster made Annabella's heart skip some beats before she was running towards the kitchen to protect the cookies.

She threw the covers from over her and gasped dramatically. "Not the cookie monster! You wouldn't dare." Her eyes were filled with fear and just a bit of amusement. It saddened me a bit. Knowing that Annabella was growing up was exciting, but knowing she was getting too old for playing pretend was a little heartbreaking like it would be for any mother. However, I still went to my dresser and pulled out the blue, fuzzy monster for possibly the last time.

"Get up!" I yell playfully throwing the cookie monster at her. Immediately, she started screaming as loud as she could as she jumped out of bed and started running around the room as if the poor toy was chasing her. I laughed lightheartedly at her as I pulled our uniforms out of the closet.

"Annabella, shut up before I give you something to scream about," my stepdad, Robert, yelled bursting through the door. I had to admit that I almost fell into the closet from how scared I'd gotten from not just the loudness of the for smashing against the wall behind it but also his booming voice.

"Ok, we were just playing, Robert," I mumbled annoyed.

"What did you say?" He spat shooting me a deadly glare. I wanted to say something in return, show some bravery. Be the example for Annabella even. However, I heard a soft hiccup come from on my bed. It was Annabella hiding.

I knew that this wasn't the best time to put up a fight.

"Nothing."

"Alright then. That's what I thought," he said and slammed the door shut once again. I pulled the iron out of the closet and slammed it on my end table with all of my force. Annabella just stood there with her eyes in shock as she stared at me. Questioning me silently.

"Don't be afraid of him, Blue Bell. He won't hurt you." I whisper lightly as I could, hugging her. "I'd never let him hurt you."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

*********

After getting Annabella in her uniform, I waited for her to finish eating her breakfast to leave. I wasn't able to eat because my mom made blueberry pancakes. I'm allergic to blueberries, but Robert loves blueberries so I guessed I'd have to wait until I got to school to eat. I was incredibly pissed with my mom.

"Eat, Cassandra," my Mon said pushing the plate of pancakes and the syrup towards me.

"I'm allergic, mom," I said trying smile sweetly to hide the anger I felt. Her brain has been in her work and her heart is with Robert. There was nothing left for her to give to her kids.

I looked over at Robert sitting on the living room sofa where he was watching reruns of Family Feud while stuffed his face with the blueberry pancakes. I couldn't help but feel mocked by him.

"Well sorry, I forgot about that. Get an apple out of the fridge. I gotta go now. Bye, Cassandra, bye, Bella." m
My mom kisses the both of our heads and leaves out of the front door. My mom was gone mostly all day since she was this successful lawyer and the last thing I wanted to do was stay in the house with Robert.

"Come on, Annabella," I said quickly grabbing her hand and bookbag. Even though she wasn't finished her food, I was ready to go.

"Ok," she sighs sadly, waving wistfully at her last pancake. I walked pass Robert quickly trying to get to and out of the front door.

He stood slowly and followed us to the door. My breath instantly caught in my throat. "Bye," he whispered stopping me and pressing his dirty lips against my cheek.

"Bye," I whispered stuck in my own fear to even fight back. He gave me a hard push as a sign that I was able to leave. I obeyed without another word and rushed behind Annabella who was already walking down the sidewalk.

Annabella sung and skipped the whole walk to her preschool. Happy, elated, and without a care in the word. Exactly how a 6 year old is supposed to be.

I smiled.

"Bye, Bell, love you with all of my heart," I say dropping her off to her teacher, Ms. Honey. "See you later. I love you with my entire heart too!" She waved before entering the school with her hand tightly intertwined with her teacher's.

I walked alone in silence on the way to my school. I felt forgotten by the world I live in. Just thinking about how lonely I am hurts me beyond my own  understanding. Robert said that I couldn't have friends unless I'll get punished. He thought I would tell. And with all honesty, I would tell. Purposefully show the signs of abuse so someone or anyone would notice and extend a hand into the darkness and save me. If not me, just save Bella because there was only so much fight I had left in me.

I had one friend named Parker last year. He always walked with me to pick up Bella and then would leave and go home. It was mice company. One day he insisted walk me home. Hoping that he would notice just how much help I needed, I selfishly said yes and I'd always regret it. Poor Parker was ran away by Robert at the front door. I had avoided him ever since, hating myself for putting him in such a horrible situation for my own benefit.

Thinking about my punishments made me sick to the stomach. I don't have any control over my social life nor who I gave my virginity to. I wasn't even a teenager.

When I got to school, I instantly made my way towards the library forgetting about breakfast. I grabbed a random book from the fiction section and plopped down to read into one of the chairs to read until the first bell rang. I looked around for my one and only friend, the librarian, but she wasn't there. She usually didn't get here until the first bell rang anyway. I sighed and took in the dusty smell of the books and the quietness.

During these time, I feel happy to be forgotten.

The picture to the side is Cassandra. Yaaay Meagan Tandy!!