28

⚠️ last chapter ⚠️

A/N
Omg, the shortest chapter ever to finish with!! Can you believe I started this thing in 06-08-2019? Lmao, I'm such a lazy writer 😂 but hey, at least I finished 🤷🏼‍♀️
Anyway, thank you guys for reading it, and thank you for all the votes and nice comments! They really made my days better. Also, this is my first work finished in English language, so I'm super happy that it was decent enough for people to read it ❤️
Love you all!
Rose

***

Listening to Scott making a phone call felt so surreal, Mitch wasn't even sure he was awake. He was frozen. Scott confirmed that it was Beau's car, and everything after that turned upside down for the tenor. He thought he would feel pain. Feeling broken down would've been so normal. He didn't expect to feel this... numb. Like nothing would've happened and no emotions existed.

He was sitting on the floor, blankly staring at the door where Beau left.

Scott was now listening. Mitch didn't know what to expect. He was reluctant to take a breath after another, fearing a sudden rush of emotions he should feel- Why didn't he feel anything? What was wrong with him?

Then Scott's voice broke the cold silence. "Mitch, he's alive."

It was like the most perfectly shaped key unlocking something in him. Mitch inhaled sharply, and his eyes met Scott's stare. "What?!"

What?! Mitch was so sure he had lost him. He could've lost him so easily without telling him how much he mattered to him. Was he really alive? Mitch gasped, his lungs filling with air again, and that was the moment that changed something.

He got a second chance from life.

"He's alive, Mitch. He made it with basically no harm, only a few bruises. The paramedics said it was a miracle," Scott rambled as he hugged him tight. "He's alive and he's fine, Mitchy."
"I have to talk to him," Mitch hiccupped through tears. He couldn't let Beau go. Especially not after this.

There, in that moment he promised himself he was never going to make the same mistake again.

Throughout all these weeks or maybe months somehow he forgot that love even existed. That even though mistakes were made, there were safe people in his life who weren't trying to cause harm intentionally. How was he so blind, how could he not see that? Life was fragile, only a single fly in the ointment, only one moment and everything could be gone, and not just for a while. For forever.

He was desperate to see Beau that night. He had to see him, and he wasn't going to let go. Scott told him they brought Beau to the hospital for a checkup but found nothing, so he was released shortly after. A friend of him picked him up, the one who called Scott, too. He told Scott Beau wanted to leave California the following day, going back to his parents. Mitch couldn't let that happen.

It was almost midnight when Scott typed the address in the GPS of his phone. Mitch sat on the passenger's seat, and he wasn't sure he had ever felt that nervous and relieved at the same time. Anything could come, it wouldn't be worse than losing Beau like he thought he did. He couldn't even pronounce the word, it was too terrifying to think about.

He was prepared for scenarios like Beau yelling at him or telling him to leave. He could even put up with that just to hear his voice and make sure he really is alive and unharmed.

What he wasn't prepared for was Beau practically falling into his arms and kissing him.

"Never scare me ever again like that," Mitch mumbled as their lips parted. "I thought I lost you."
"I thought I lost you, too. Mitch, can you imagine how terrifying it was to see you distancing yourself from us? Some nights, after you told me not to come, I was just laying in bed and praying that it wouldn't be the last day I spoke to you," Beau swallowed. "I thought if I leave, that could save you because everything I've tried didn't work."

Why didn't you tell me?, Mitch wanted to ask, but before he could open his mouth, he knew the answer. And that reminded him of why he came.

"I wanted to ask you not to leave and I wanted to tell you that I love you. You really matter a lot to me, you know. Sorry that I didn't say it sooner."
Beau smiled. "I love you, too."
"So can we try again?"
"We can continue like never happened."
Mitch thought for a moment. "I think I like trying again better."
"Why?" Beau looked surprised.
"Because now I know how I should value you."

Sometimes one can be so carried away by fears, but does it always worth staying on the safe side? Love is such a beautiful thing in any form, and nothing in this world should be able to blind us. If only Mitch took a deeper breath and tried to see-

It didn't matter now.

What only mattered was melting into the feeling of unconditional love and gratitude. Their story haven't ended yet. They had so much to look forward.

And Brett? Sure, it is going to take a while until Mitch gets over him and everything he did. It wasn't his own fault, he knew now. Things can go wrong anytime, and it was only his bad luck that he was the person Brett tried to reach for comfort. It could've been anyone, really. And whoever else played a part in these unbelievable happenings, they've always been innocent in Mitch's eyes. Scott? He'd been his best friend for the longest time, and he wanted nothing but happiness for Mitch. Beau? He was free to leave him anytime when he got fed up or threatened by Brett. He never did. Kirstie, Kevin and Matt? Mark? Austin? They were all safe.

And until they're all here, Mitch knew he was going to be fine.

'And now we know, our hearts are strong
Where we belong is side by side
And so we'll hold each other close
And in our souls, we're standing by'

***

in memoriam N.

i've spent your last day writing a chapter so i thought you deserved the ending

love you,
your little Rose 🌹