| better than okay

C L O S E D

Out of all the days, the coffee shop decided to close today. The day he thought he'd be able to finally get to know her.
He groaned, hoping the coffee shop was just joking, that it actually was open. 

And so today was a day where he wouldn't see her. He wouldn't be able to talk to her.

And so he sighed, turning his heel, heading back to his apartment building. As he walked, the clouds continued to hide the sunshine.

Today was literally a grey day, he thought. And it just had to be the day when he had started to get to know her.

But he guessed that fate was in a delay. And it left an ugly taste in his mouth.

As he continued to walk closer and closer to the building, the grey clouds continued to mask the sunlight away from the earth, or at least the town, for the time being.

The rotting green leaves fell from the trees aligning the sidewalk. As he continued to walk he kicked the small pebbles coming across his path. Clicking and clicking were his shoes and the small rocks that he kicked.

He had work later, and he needed inspiration. But she was gone.
Simply absent.

She however, was busy. Busy preparing herself for the life she would have without her grandmother. She would have to go home alone, eat breakfast alone and go grocery shopping alone. Everything she did with her grandmother, soon yet a memory, then her life becomes reality.

She was busy enough that she missed having coffee with him for a week. Seven days in a row, no Alex. No beautiful blue eyes. No glances that sent shivers down her spine.

Instead she had eyes red as a rabbit's from crying. A frail tired body that constantly did its best to save her grandmother or at least tried to peacefully help her leave the world.

She needed somebody to tell her everything was going to be okay. That everything was going to be fine.

And every night before she slept,
she would look out the window, whispering to God or who ever was out there to listen, asking for someone. Someone to make her feel better than okay.