eight

"He's staring at you

"He's staring at you."

I look up at Gen, swallowing my mouthful of buffalo chicken before responding. "Who?"

It's our lunch break and Gen and I are sitting on the bottom bleacher of our school's football stadium. Despite my pleas for her to leave the topic and let me enjoy my food, she keeps bugging me about what happened this morning. 

As of right now, I really didn't want to think about how Tristan walked into Isaac and I almost kissing. I also really didn't want to think about how when he did so, I wasn't exactly disappointed.

"Oop, now it looks like he's checking you out."

"Who the hell are you talking about?"

She snickers and not so subtly nods her head at our distant left. "Tristan, who else?"

"Liar!" For someone who didn't believe her, I wiped my mouth free of buffalo sauce with a napkin awfully quick and Gen smirked, catching me in action.

"Oh, please. Half the guys are ogling you; you look great! Like my cousin would be an exception." I glance down at my assemble of a cropped zip up hoodie with a distressed denim mini skirt. It seemed pretty casual to me— not anything ogle-worthy.

"And what about the other half?"

"They're appreciating me of course."

I elbow her, "Everyone's just dying to get a piece of us, aren't they?" I was only half kidding but if I was going to be honest, Gen and I were a pretty good-looking pair of best friends.

She rolls her eyes while taking a quick sip of her mint water, "Don't even get me started. The number of times I've had guys ask if they could bang both of us at once is borderline insane."

I laugh, having had my fair share of threesome requests involving Gen. "I don't think I could have a threesome with you and some guy and take it seriously. I would just think about some stupid shit you've pulled in the past and kill the mood."

Gen doesn't reply, her eyes narrowed and fixated on something in the distance. Following the direction of her gaze, I startle when my eyes collide with a pair of electric blue ones.

Even from so many yards away, I can see a smirk appear on Tristan's lips as our eyes lock. Annoying bastard. It took him all of three days in this place to ditch Gen and I, and go hang around others. And what I mean my others, is the busty redhead practically wrapped around him like a damn ribbon.

"You know her?" I ask Gen, dragging my gaze away from Tristan and keeping my voice as insouciant as possible.

Her eyes stay narrowed at the redhead, "I forgot her name but she's in my creative writing class—which makes no sense since her writing skills are ass, by the way."

I snort, "Doesn't explain why you look like you want to kill her with your eyes."

"She's a total bitch to me for no reason. Says I stole her 'one true shot' at getting Connie to fall in love with her by sleeping with him last semester."