Chapter 4

Chuuya's cat did not like Dazai at all. It was almost as if Chuuya personally trained the thing to make Dazai's life a living hell.

Dazai wouldn't put it past him.

(Though the mental image of Chuuya leaning down to talk to his cat, ordering it to claw and hiss at the sight of Dazai, made him chuckle under his breath.)

The cat looked approachable at first, all pliant and soft in Chuuya's hold. But when the toddler was out of its sight and Dazai approached it to hold a hand out, the demon spawn immediately shifted gears, hissing and batting a paw out to sink its claws into the meaty flesh part of his palm.

At least he already had bandages on, but ouch, Dazai wasn't fond of pain.

But with the flash of the charm on its collar, Dazai noticed the name engraved on the gold. (Of course it was gold, the chibi was horribly fancy.)

The cat's name was 'mackerel.'

Dazai was immediately brought back to the memory years ago when he and Chuuya were still partners. When they had found a kitten on the side of the streets on their way back from a mission. Chuuya refused to leave it defenseless, so he insisted on bringing it back with them. He ended up naming it Mackerel, a jab towards Dazai.

But Dazai felt no annoyance, a weird warmth pooled in his heart as he stood back up, injury on his hand forgotten. He went through thoughtless actions for the next few hours, feeling strangely light and numb.

Mackerel continued to guard Chuuya as if his life depended on it, always walking directly next to him, its head lifted an alert, its tail swishing in an annoying way. It stared into Dazai's soul from the corner of the room every time he decided to interact with the Chibi.

Dazai tried to lock it in Chuuya's room, but Chuuya quickly cried for his new friend to come back to him, thinking the cat had abandoned him.

The rest of the day was uneventful, with some snooping Dazai found Chuuya's phone and easily unlocked it, sending embarrassing texts messages out to the Mafia members and taking multiple selfies.

Then came bath time.

Dazai was admittedly debating whether he should even give the slug a bath but ultimately decided that he did not want the Chibi to be one of those sticky iPad kids. No matter how humiliating it would be for Chuuya, Dazai also did not want to be associated with one of those things.

He had been plotting to use Chuuya as a tactic to drag in more of the ladies, maybe if he claimed that he was a single dad then they would have sympathy and commit a double suicide with him.

Chuuya wasn't a bad kid, thankfully. He didn't run around the house and scream at the top of his little lungs when Dazai started to draw the water. Instead, he simply nodded, resting his chin against the porcelain of the large bathtub.

What a strange child.

The cat was nowhere to be seen, it bolted a long time ago when it heard the sound of water running. Chuuya probably squirted it with a spray bottle when it misbehaved, maybe Dazai should invest in one for Chuuya.

Dazai filed the thought away for later, turning off the water when the tub was almost full, water not visible over the blanket of bubbles on the surface. (Kouyou had made sure to put plenty of bath supplies in the bag.)

Dazai turned to help Chuuya out of his clothes, but he was already undressed. Dazai wanted to pull his hair out. This Chuuya was no fun, not like his Chibi at all. His child personality was so tame and quiet compared to his teen and adult one.