Chapter 26 ~ Isla

Jesus, no.

Her rather gruesome death dabbled in and out of the inner recesses of my mind, playing a cruel game of tag. I saw her, crowned with her auburn hair blazing in the summer sun, weaving tales of love lost and found, laughing as we rotated in the merry-go-round. Daddy's favorite girl. I felt exactly the same slice of pain I'd endured then, knowing that, in our father's mind, I'd always be a burden he loathed with all of his being.

Perhaps she shouldn't have died earlier. I wished above all things that her soul stayed in her cursed body for longer, sparing me enough time to come back at her for the uncountable times Dad had chosen her over me. Day in, day out, my thoughts were crowded with so much hatred and bitterness swirling around them like satiny mists, pushing me farther and farther down my dark and lonely hole. The guilt, the fear, enthroned in my heart, haunting me all day long. I knew I shouldn't have done it. Done what?

Personally, I had no courage to come out in public to blurt those words. They were intimate, like a piece of my very own soul, detained under lock and key of my inner prison. Threaten me with death by hanging or electrocution or death by the devil's sword but I'd never say. Never tell. I knew Craig was wrapping those damned arms around me to lend me the stamina I absolutely needed to overcome these tough times.

"I don't know," I retorted quickly.

If I stalled a second longer, I'd chicken out. His grey eyes defined my life; unclear, dark, mysterious. I'd lost myself in them oftentimes before, held captive by the royal warmth radiating from his countenance.

"You can't keep this secret for much longer," he commented.

His lips slightly brushed my earlobe, doing only so much to fuel my desire. He sensed me warring with my feelings so, he let me be.

"I'm gonna return to that fucked up hole of a prison. But I promise to stay only long enough for you to come clean," he stated.

But his blandness hurt. Even his uncompromising stance pained me so freaking much. Why did he have to be such an ass?

"And if I don't wanna?"

"Hey, don't cry."
He caught me wiping my tear with a flick of my small finger.

"You can't understand, can you? You assume you're doing me a bloody favor as long as you take my place in prison, yeah?"

"How you dare bitch at me? This is all your stupid fault. If you hadn't hosted that fucked up party at your mansion last year, none of this would've happened," he spat.

I simmered, rooted in his hold. It was supposed to be me and him against the world, but he was acting like... I had no words for his behavior.

"Will you two stop bickering and tell us who in the US of friggin A who hacked off the poor girl's head?" Dad shut us up.

I'm pretty sure I sucked every bit of air within my nose's reach.

"I did."