Chapter One

I hope you all enjoy the first chapter, can't wait to share with you everything I have planned for them. Leave a comment below, excited to know what you all think already! I've had two weeks off and it's been great getting back into writing, it feels amazing and can't believe it's been two years since I've even uploaded anything for you guys and I'm sorry.

Please enjoy!  :)

laurachelseaa_

One Sided Love: Chapter One

Gravelington, 14th July 1906.

Every young girl dreams of their wedding day being perfect, their future husband and the love of their lives standing and waiting at the altar and looking as handsome as ever. Whereas most young girls would be excited to get married to their one true love, I was terrified.

I've been in love with this man ever since I first laid eyes on him when I was just a thirteen year old girl and he was a nineteen, a young man and for years I had to see him wrapped in the arms of many young women, nothing has or will change and I know he doesn't feel the same way as I do, after all he has a string of mistresses waiting for him and it doesn't matter that his about to get married, he won't change.

I hated the idea of knowing that the women he has previously been with are sitting in that church right now about to watch us get married, one in particular sent chills down my spine because she is horrible and every man dreams of being with her, like my soon to be husband who can never keep his hands off of her.

Henrietta Carter, twenty-eight years and not married and only wanting to ruin other people's relationships because she loves hurting other people, though she claims to love Samuel I knew better she was just after his money but he couldn't see that, he was blind, he doesn't love her, he lusts over her, her and her body and it makes me sick.

I shoke the horrible thoughts out of my head as best as I could when I made it to my father's side, "I'm so sorry Imogen" he whispered, I smiled sadly at him because no one knew I was in love with Samuel Lockwood except my best friend, Beatrix Wright and our families know of his other women but he will not stop until he proves just how much he doesn't want me, he proved that with the very first woman I saw him with when I found out I was marrying him.

My father didn't like the idea of me marrying into the Lockwood family, sure we are good friends with them but he didn't want me to marry at eighteen even though most girls my age would already be married but it was all because of my, great, great grandfather who made a deal with Samuel's great, great grandfather that when the first girl born baby, being me would marry the first born boy.

As we stopped in front of Samuel I noticed the women he has been with shoot me glares, they wished it was them standing here and marrying the most handsome man there is in Gravelington but instead he is stuck with me, I don't consider myself beautiful no matter how many times my mother or anyone will tell me different.

I could cry a thousand tears right now as I looked anywhere else but at him and I wasn't really paying attention at all because I wanted to get it over and done with, why pretend I was happy when all he wanted was to be with someone else, my fragile heart will just keep on breaking if I give myself false hope.

"I do solemnly declare that I know not of any lawful impediment why I, Samuel Lockwood may not be joined in matrimony to Imogen Francis" he said in boredom and I had to bite my lip to stop the cry I wanted to let out from between my lips, I was hoping that at the very last moment he would call the wedding off, hoping so I wouldn't have to live a lifetime in heartache.

Maybe he wants to try and make this marriage work, a small smile made its way onto my face, "I solemnly declare that I know not of any lawful impediment why I, Imogen Francis may not be joined in matrimony with Samuel Lockwood"

Then moments later when the priest announced us husband and wife, his lips were on mine in a short kiss, really it would be considered a peck and when I came back to reality that I am now a married woman I looked towards the people standing, clapping and cheering but I didn't miss the glare Henrietta gave me when I was looking at everyone with a massive blush on my face.

The party was in full swing, celebrating two people coming together and it's been a couple hours since I became Mrs Imogen Lockwood, although my husband isn't by my side to be happily talking with my guests with me, no instead he is with his current mistress and just the thought broke my heart a little.

"Where is that husband of yours?" William, Samuel's friend and since the news of this marriage has become like a brother to me, I shrug my shoulders as I look around trying to spot him, "I honestly don't know, but I have a feeling I know who he is with" I said forcing the smile onto my face as I looked up at him.

"I'm sorry my friend is such an idiot, he should be here with you not those women he thinks want him for something other than his money" William muttered sipping on his champagne. "Just know I will always be there for you, maybe someday he will realise he made a mistake and you can both be happy" he said before kissing me on the cheek and walking away to talk to some other guests.

I smiled sadly as he walked away, it will be too late when Samuel realises, that is if he ever realises that he made the mistake and would ever want this marriage to work, I would probably already be old and grey by then and my hopes of having a family with Samuel was shattered by the thought.

I went in search for Samuel after the tenth person asked me where he was and when I opened the door to the library of his home I paled at the sight in front of me and I gasped attracting the sight of a very naked Samuel and Henrietta, "I'm sorry" I choked out quickly and hurried to close the door and made my way to the garden where I threw myself at a bench that looked onto a small lake occupied by swans, ducks and fishes.

I don't know what I did wrong to live this life but I wish I was no longer living, of course I have seen him kiss another woman but to see them about to make love even though I am his wife, it has completely broken me. "Why the hell would you come looking for me?" Samuel hissed and it was only then did I realise he was standing in front of me.

"The guests were wondering where my so called husband had gotten too, I went searching because I couldn't deal with being in that room any longer, but now I wished I stayed at least my heart wouldn't be completely broken at the thought of my husband with someone else" I whispered and I thought I saw his eyes soften but it must of only been my imagination.

"I never wanted this Imogen, I've never wanted you" he said harshly causing me to cry my heart out and when I looked up he was gone and I knew I needed to leave this town, I can't stay any longer knowing my husband never wanted me, I packed a small bag and wrote a quick letter to my parents and Beatrix but I told them nothing of what happened, sitting in one of the carriages fifteen minutes later I didn't look back knowing if I did I would want to go back.

I need a fresh start and to try and forget about my unloving husband, it was going to be difficult since I have been in love with him for the past five years but I was going to try and have a new life, yet I know I will always be tied to Samuel and be known as his wife.