27

You could hear the clash of metal as you approached the beach, breaking out of the trees with Puffy by your side. 

It was a full on battle in the sand, navy sailors against members of the Ghost's crew - blades flying in every which direction and glinting in the sun. You spotted Gemma amidst the battle, lips set into a snarl as she traded blows with none other than your old captain himself.

Simon's hair had gotten longer since you had last seen him. 

You reached down, scooping up Tubbo and turning to Puffy. "I'm going to make a break for the ship." 

Puffy nodded, drawing her sword. "I'll give you as much of a distraction as I can." She said, her free hand coming up to cradle your jaw. She smiled. "And thank you, Y/N."

With that, Puffy charged into the fray, jumping directly at Simon. 

You didn't have much time to contemplate what exactly had just happened, so you just clutched Tubbo to your chest and made a break for it, hoping there was at least someone still on the ship  to help you climb with a child in your arms. You had made it about halfway across the beach when a shout caught your attention - your name. 

You turned to see Simon looking at you, battling through the crowd to get to you, blue eyes locked onto yours. In front of him, desperately trying to battle him backwards, was Puffy. You hesitated, the fear catching up to you. 

"Y/N!" Simon called again. "We've come to rescue you!"

Puffy turned for a moment to look at you. "Get to the ship, what are you-"

Simon knocked her to the ground, raising his sword again for the final blow. Tubbo shouted, squirming out of your grip and sprinting to his mother, collapsing in the sand in front of her. You were only a half step behind him, knocking Simon's sword out of the way, breathing heavy.

"Simon, you can't." You said, pleading. "Please, you can't-"

Simon's eyes darted from you to Tubbo, and then to Puffy as well - calculating. After a moment, the realization dawned on him and he lowered his sword, sliding it back into the scabbard on his hip. His gaze shifted to you, and you could see the emotions in his eyes - betrayal, but also solemn acceptance. 

"I thought something like this might happen." He said. "Y/N..."

"I know." You said. "Simon, believe me, I know, it tore me apart for days, but..." 

He sighed, looking behind himself to his own crew. "I have to bring you in. I have to get that map, Y/N, you know that." He sounded genuinely sad about it too, and he looked down at Tubbo, who was clinging to Puffy now, Tubbo's eyes still locked on the sword at Simon's hip.

"He's just a boy." You said. "You can't at least just let him go-"

"You know that's not how it works." Simon said. "I can't-" He cut himself off, voice thick. 

You could feel the dream slipping away as you sat in the sand, looking up at your old captain in front of you. Puffy had one arm wrapped around her son, and the other still gripping onto her sword. Around you, the crew was battered - they had probably been fighting since not long after you had plunged into the forest, and there was no telling how long that had been. The navy looked weary as well, obviously waiting for Simon's call.

Simon was looking at the sky, head tipped back and eyes closed, deep in thought.

"Simon." You pleaded again. 

"I don't want to bring you in." He said, opening his eyes and looking down at you. "You were part of my crew, and there's a child..." He trailed off. 

An idea struck you at Simon's indecision and you got to your feet slowly, to look him in the eye. "We were sent to retrieve the map." You led in. 

Simon looked at you curiously.

"Just take the map." You said. "Just take the map, and I promise that we'll leave without trouble. We won't bother the king again, if you'll just let us go now."

"What about the treasure?" Simon asked. "Where is it?"

"There wasn't anything." Puffy said. "When we opened the chest, nothing was inside."

Simon looked skeptical, but you nodded in agreement with Puffy. "Really." You said. "There wasn't anything inside."

You could see him wavering - for all his military attachments, Simon was a good man at heart. Now that he knew that Tubbo was aboard, things were different. And that there was no treasure to be had... 

You reached over, pulling the map from Puffy's belt and offering it up to him. "Please, Simon."

He looked down at the map in your hands and sighed, taking it from you. "I never want to hear from you again, you hear?"

You couldn't fight back the grin that was growing on your face. "Never, promise." 

Simon turned his back to you, taking the map and tucking it into the pocket of his coat. He strode back towards the navy ship - raising a hand to signal to his crew that the fight was over. "The map has been retrieved." He announced. 

Slowly, the navy made their way back to their own ship, leaving just the Crew of the Ghost on the beach. 

You turned back to help Puffy up to her feet, grabbing both of her hands and hauling her to her feet, a smile on your face. Her eyes were wide as she stood up, hands still clasped in yours. 

"How?" She asked.

"I couldn't just let him take it all." You said. "I'm sorry about the map and the treasure, and we might have to leave the kingdom, but at least-"

Puffy's hands left yours and came up to cradle your face again, smiling at you. "Doesn't matter." She said. "You just saved the whole goddamn crew, and I'll never be able to thank you enough for it."

You leaned into the touch, suddenly feeling a bit teary, even though you had just gotten away with your lives.