Jennie's brows furrowed. "Chaerin, I don't think I can make it. I have to work today."

Chaerin merely smiled calmly at her. "So? You've known Lisa for many years. You should know what she would like. It shouldn't take that long."

Lisa stared at Jennie, frowning. Was she going to jump ship? Things had been going so well, and the last thing Lisa wanted was for Jennie to back out now.

"Yeah, you're right," Jennie responded softly. "I'll make a plan."

"Wonderful. I'll see the two of you again tomorrow morning. Good luck, and have fun!"

They thanked her and left together, Lisa holding the door open for Jennie again. They didn't say anything as they climbed into the car, but Lisa paused before driving away.

"To work?" she asked.

"Yeah," Jennie answered, distracted. "Please."

Lisa nodded and headed that way. When she stopped in front of the building, she watched Jennie climb out. Her stomach was pulled tight in knots when Jennie barely looked at her and said goodbye, and headed into work. Lisa wouldn't deny that she was worried. This was such a simple thing, but the time constraint clearly caused issues. Luckily Lisa had the day off, so she could take the time to look for something. Jennie didn't have that. What on earth was she going to do? Would she even still do it?

If Jennie herself picked something, or she got someone else to do it, Lisa would know. Come tomorrow morning, when she opened that gift, she would immediately know if Jennie had flaked out or not. She hated that anxiety in her stomach, because there just wasn't any way to know which it would be.

*

"Just get her really expensive, really pretty flowers."

Lisa wiped a hand across her sweaty brow. "Chu, it needs to have meaning."

"Flowers have meaning."

Lisa rolled her eyes even though Jisoo couldn't see it. "Not what I'm going for, Chu."

Jisoo sighed. "Alright, fine. So, something with meaning, right? You know her better than anyone. What would she like?"

Lisa bit down on her lip. She gasped when an idea hit her. "Jisoo, Chaerin never specified that we had to actually buy something."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Just that it has to have meaning. I think I know what to do."

Jisoo released a sigh. "That's good. Tell me how it goes tomorrow, alright?"

"I will, thanks Chu."

She ended the call and quickly dialled her mother's number. As it rang, her heart started thudding hard. If this worked, it would be perfect. Her mother answered on the second ring.

"Hey there Lis. What can I do for you? Your mum and I haven't heard from you in a while."

Despite being a fully grown adult, she still felt like a little girl when talking to her mother, but only because her mother made her feel safe no matter what.

"Hey mom, I need a favour."

*

Jennie pressed her face into her hand. She barely had the mental capacity to listen to the men shouting at each other around her. She was in a meeting with the board, and as usual, they were too busy throwing their own egos around to even notice that she was sitting there. Jennie wanted to stand and tell them to stop acting like children, but strangely their shouting was giving her a moment to think.

She needed to figure out what to get for Lisa. How on earth was she going to even pick something? She could maybe search online. She wouldn't have a problem paying for extremely quick delivery. For a second she considered just sending Chaeyoung out to pick something, but immediately dismissed that idea. It needed to be from her, and it needed to be from the heart. Not something lame or easily obtained.

Jennie bit into her lip. Making a snap decision, and one she usually didn't make, she stood and left the meeting room. Laughingly, the men didn't seem to notice. Chaeyoung followed her in a rush, face stricken.

"Jennie, what's wrong?"

Jennie gave her a smile. "Do you think you could sit in for me? You know everything there is to know about the proposal. Their opinions don't really matter, since Mr Kim has already signed off his approval. The meeting was just a formality."

Chaeyoung nodded, but her brows furrowed. "Of course. But are you okay?"

They reached Jennie's office and she paused before opening her door. "Yes. But I have to get a gift for Lisa by today. I can't waste my time sitting in a room with wailing toddlers."

Chaeyoung laughed loudly. "Ah, I see." Her eyes filled with affection. "I'm happy to see you try, Jen. I'm sure Lisa will love whatever you get her." She saluted and strode back to the meeting room, back straight.

Jennie exhaled harshly and went to sit down at her desk. She started scrolling through online stores of all sorts. She visited Lisa's profile for a few of them, to see her wishlist. Nothing popped out at her though. Too much time had passed. The meeting ended and Chaeyoung was back at her desk.

Jennie's phone rang. "Yes?"

"Mr Wenn is here for his appointment, Mrs Kim. Can I send him in five minutes?"

Jennie cursed. How was she going to do this? She was about to close the tab, but paused when an ad popup caught her attention. Her breath caught. Could she...?

"Actually," Jennie said, distracted, "tell him Mrs Kim had to rush home in an emergency. Reschedule him for the earliest time. And clear the rest of my day."

Chaeyoung remained silent for a moment. Jennie clicked on the ad, pulse racing. After telling the man, who huffed and strode out, Chaeyoung returned to the call. "Jen, what happened?"

Jennie grinned. "Can you call my pilots and have the jet ready within the hour?"

Chaeyoung laughed. "Of course. But what on earth are you doing?"

Jennie shut her computer off, ended the call and walked out her office. Chaeyoung was already standing there, waiting. "I'm saving my marriage," Jennie told her simply.

*

It took until late into the evening, but Lisa managed to get the gift sorted. She felt quite proud of herself and she arrived home in extremely high spirits, but her mood immediately dampened when she realized that Jennie still wasn't home. She'd called earlier to find out when she needed to pick Jennie up, since she'd dropped her off, but Jennie had only told her that she had already made a plan.

Was she working late again? Was the stress of this new step getting to her?

Lisa frowned all through undressing and showering. She'd checked all over the house just to make sure, but Jennie really wasn't home yet. Her car was still in the garage, so she hadn't come home or had someone fetch it at all.

After her shower, Lisa went to make dinner but found that Chaerin hadn't sent anything, so she assumed tonight was fine to skip co-operational dinner. She compiled a bowl of cereal, ate in silence and then dumped her dishes in the sink.

On her way to her room, she paused by Jennie's home office to peek inside, somewhat hopeful. It was dark inside. Disappointed and frustrated, Lisa went to bed. She tried not to worry herself or imagine all the ways Jennie could set them back by fucking this up, but it was difficult not to.

When she fell asleep, it was fitful.