5

Andy:

"Ten!"

We're at the park. I'm the monster trying to catch and eat my kids. I can hear their giggles, their screams, their laughter. My favorite sounds in the world.

Everyday we come to the park for an hour or so. We play, we run, we walk, or we just sit down under a tree while I read them a book.

"Roar!"

Oscar tagged along with Jimena for lunch. At first I felt uncomfortable with him being around, but he turned out to be okay. It was fun having lunch with them. Now, I know they're brother and sister, not husband and wife. It was embarrassing when I asked how long they've been married. They laughed at me.

Jimena is twenty-four and Oscar is twenty-two. They don't get along very well. The way they look at each other, the way they talk to each other, the way they ignore each other. It scares me, but I don't want to intrude in their lives. Yet.

My kids' first day of school was great. They told me everything on the way home. We had dinner and now we're at the park having some fun.

This is my favorite part of the day. Just me and the kids having and sharing some fun time together.

¤ ¤ ¤

Lock all windows and back door. Check. The boys are sleeping. Check. Backpack. Check. Keys. Che-

Wait. I check my back and front pockets. Where are the car keys? Ah. Making my way over to the table next to the front door, I have no idea how but somehow I tripped.

I open the door, forgetting about my aching knee, and concentrate more on who's standing in front of me.

"¿Qué hace usted aquí?" I hold the doorknob harder. "What are you doing here?"

He doesn't have his dark shades this time, but I recognize him. Wow. His eyes. They're so green.

I urge him to go on with just a raise of my eyebrows.

He tucks both of his hands inside his pants pockets. "I'd like to interview you myself. See if you're worth hiring."

"What did you say?" I sputter angrily, his slight accent on the back of my mind now.

"You heard me."

"Well, if I was not worth it, which I completely disagree with you, why are you standing here?" I challenge.

"Simple." He slightly shrugs. "Your answers intrigued me. I'd like to interview you right now."

"But Mr. Perez has already interviewed me. There's nothing else to know."

"You're mistaken. I have my own questions. May I come in."

He tries to come in, but I block his way.

"Are you insane?!" I take a deep breath. "No you may not."

"No?" He tries it, as if the word was foreign to his tongue.

"No."

"Warum nicht [Why not]? Look, I apologize if I've offended you by any means."

That first part was definitely not English. Not Spanish nor French.

"Well, you have offended me, but it's wrong for a woman to invite a man inside her home. Especially at this time of night."

"Then would you like to go out to dinner with me?"