Chapter 20 - Daniel

The limo pulled up onto the sleek asphalt entrance. The school was lit up, with lots of students entering in fancy dresses and suits. As Jaclyn and Alexa stepped out of the limo, many envious students stared. You could say they felt luxurious.

       “This is going to be amazing! I am disappointed that Kaden couldn’t make it, but I’m sure we’ll have fun.” She smiled at Alexa, and the two made their way up to the gym doors.

       This was the exact gym that Jaclyn had set foot on every weekend, as Aidan. The déjà-vu was intense. Jaclyn left the dress in the limo, and the driver patiently sat in the parking lot. She couldn’t wait for the moment she changed and came back in the beautiful pink gown. People would be amazed. While she admits, the attention would be nice; it was also a little obnoxious to show off two gowns.

       The two entered through the doors, and Alexa gasped in amazement. The gym had been transformed into a winter wonderland. There was a long buffet line in the back, and couples twirling around in the center of the gym. Jaclyn couldn’t help but feel a bit self-conscious. She was without a date, and would stand out a lot. But then she saw groups of friends together, and she didn’t feel as bad.

       Fake snowy trees were placed throughout the gym, creating a forest effect. The lighting made it look as though it were evening, with a light snow on the way. It was beautiful, and Jaclyn couldn’t even imagine the amount of effort that had gone into it.

       “Can you believe this? It’s gorgeous!” Alexa said, gesturing to the décor. Jaclyn nodded, and stared at the couples on the dance floor. She felt a twinge of sadness, but then pushed it away.

       “Let’s go get some punch.” The two headed over to the punch table. Once they had their cups, Jaclyn glanced at her phone. It was only seven; hardly time to change into the dress.

       “I’m surprised you didn’t get a date for prom, Alexa.”

       “I’m surprised no one asked me.” She scoffed, sipping her drink.

       “Hey, cute guy over there, and he’s all alone.” Jaclyn motioned behind Alexa. She turned with a swish of her blonde hair and smiled.

       “Wish me luck.” Alexa walked off. Jaclyn watched as the guy was instantly swayed by Alexa’s charming attitude and beautiful dress. This left Jaclyn alone at the punch table, glancing around her at the decorations once more.

She turned around and grabbed a snack.

       “I’d thought you be here.” She whipped around to see Daniel smiling down at her.

       “Daniel!” A huge smile appeared on her face. He was wearing a black suit with a turquoise bow tie that suited his hair color.

       “You look stunning!” He glanced at her dress and blushed.

       “You look nice too.” She sipped her punch to hide her own blush. Daniel’s smile suddenly turned into a frown, and he looked around the room.

       “Where’s Kaden? He asked you to go with him.” She paused, wondering if he should tell him the truth. Jaclyn figured another lie to Daniel would just be wrong.

       “He bailed. Called me up as I was leaving, and said he didn’t feel good.” Daniel scoffed, grabbing a cracker.

       “He was fine this morning in school! I saw him laughing and running around with some guy friends.” Jaclyn raised her brow, and glanced around the room once more.

       “Really? That’s weird.” Daniel nodded and ate another cracker.

       “Well, since he’s not here, and you’re apparently all alone, will you be my date to the prom?” Daniel asked with a grin. Jaclyn smiled back awkwardly.

       “I’m not alone, actually. Alexa is here with me. But yes, I would love that.”

       “As friends of course.” He winked. She laughed and looked behind her at Alexa. She looked beyond happy, flirting with the stranger.

       Maybe this night wouldn’t be so bad.

~~~~~~~

       It was now ten o’clock, and Jaclyn was dancing with Daniel on the dance floor. The two were laughing, constantly stepping on the other’s foot. Jaclyn was never an amazing dancer, and she was glad Daniel couldn’t dance well either.

       Jaclyn excused herself to the “restroom”. She quickly exited the gym into the cold winter air. The parking lot was deadly quiet, and the muffled music could be heard coming from the gym. Her heels clicked on the pavement as she ran to the white limo.

       Knock, knock, knock.

       The almost asleep driver lifted his head and unlocked the doors. Jaclyn crawled into the back and fumbled around for the dress. She found it, and lifted up a panel to hide herself from the driver’s view. In the dim light, Jaclyn undressed and pulled on the pink ball gown. She glanced in the pull down mirror to check on her makeup and hair. It was still perfect. She slipped on her heels and exited the limo, thanking the driver.

       When she entered the gym, Daniel was nowhere to be seen. She stood clueless in the middle of the gym, glancing around wildly. A moment of fear struck her at thought of him abandoning her.

       The fear quickly vanished as Jaclyn spotted Daniel walking towards her. He was in a whole new tan suit!

       “Daniel, why’d you change?”

       “I was going to ask you that.” He laughed and motioned to her new dress.

       “Looks like we had the same idea. You look great!” They grinned at each other and started dancing again. The two danced for ten minutes, then walked over to the punch table for a break.

       “That was awesome.” Jaclyn said, out of breath from the constant spinning and twirling.

       “It really was! I’m sorry I’m a bad dancer.”

       “Don’t be, I am too.” The two laughed and she smiled at Daniel. He was so fun to be around, so caring, and he was a great person. She had forgotten about Kaden and Alexa completely tonight.

       A voice came on the overhead, startling the couples, and then followed by laughter. It was the principal, Mrs. Jones, standing up on a small stage with a microphone.

       “Good evening, students! Tonight, we are going to be announcing the prom king and queen at midnight! It is not by entry, only by our choice. We will be watching!” She exited the stage, and there was some applause and discussion.

       Jaclyn and Daniel made their way to the dance floor again as a slow song came on. She glanced over to see Alexa dancing with the stranger, staring deeply into his eyes. Daniel lightly put his hands on her waist, and she put her hands on his shoulders. The music was pretty boring, but the two swayed back and forth and smiled at each other. Jaclyn didn’t notice the couples slowly leaving the dance floor, and the gathering crowd watching the two. She was lost in the dance, completely dazed.

       Jaclyn smiled and turned her head to the right to look around at the remaining couples dancing. She gasped immediately and pushed Daniel away, feeling her eyes target in on one particular couple. Jaclyn could not believe her eyes.

       Kaden was at the prom…and he was dancing with that blonde girl.