Chapter Fourteen | Pride & Prejudice

The following week was almost as drawling as the last to Hermione.

Her and Draco had accustomed themselves to small talk - the smallest possible. Most of the time, they would shoot each other a mix between a glare and a half-hearted smile as they awkwardly passed by each other in the flat.

Some days, Hermione would wake and Malfoy would be nowhere to seen at all. His bedroom would be empty as she snooped through, and his mug or whiskey glass would be sat on the side, empty like he always left it - ready to come home and refill it once more.

It was nice waking up to him being out of the flat. It was the closest to normality she had felt since her childhood. Even though it was sometimes lonely to wake up alone, Hermione much preferred it. She could sing songs as loudly as she liked in the shower or dance like nobody was watching as the radio played in the background. It made her heart ache for a normal life.

They hadn't progressed anymore in their search of the Alliance - or anything work related at all. Malfoy seemed more interested in disappearing into the depths of Paris, sometimes being out for the entire day. Hermione would wake to see the sunrise and sunset, and she'd still be alone.

It was just like being back at Hogwarts, in a way. Just with a prettier and more tolerable view and central heating. At least Hermione didn't freeze whenever she would rise out of bed.

On the Monday during the week, Draco had returned with a small bag full of food. Vegetables, and other pieces. She didn't picture him to be the cook at all. She couldn't imagine him walking through a shop and buying food like a Muggle. Or him getting lost attempting to look for something specific and having to ask somebody working in the store. The thought made her laugh.

That night, he had cooked him and Hermione a stew. It was beautiful - surprisingly, everything was cooked to perfection. It was as if he'd done it with magic. The flavours exploded in Hermione's mouth like a supernova - the perfect assortment of everything she'd eaten.

The company, not so perfect. The only sounds that were to be heard around the table were them breathing, and the sound of them chewing their food. Awkward.

The night after, Hermione had been cleaning up the kitchen when Draco had stalked back home carrying a small bag. After a couple of seconds, she'd clicked on that he had been to the library without her, probably to spite her for wondering off during their last visit. Or to flirt with the clerk that definitely wanted him to shag her over the desk in the reception.

The thought made Hermione's skin crawl.

He didn't bring home books that were aiding them in their attempt to find the Alliance, though. When he had finally stalked off to bed with whatever he'd brought in the library, Hermione could see him contently reading on his bed. He had never looked so peaceful to her, apart from when she came out of the shower a few nights before and he had fallen asleep on the living room sofa.

Draco Malfoy was beautiful, when he had his mouth shut. Cruel, yet beautiful.

She carefully inspected him whilst he slept. His jawline, so sharp she felt if she touched it, it would slice her finger open like a paper cut. It proved too Hermione, that even if something was beautiful, it could still hurt you. His long eyelashes, curled ever so slightly as his eyes rolled around, dreaming of death or destruction - something Death Eater's must love to dream about, she thought.

Hermione thought it to be a sad, and lonely life he must have led inside of his head.

The same as her, really - two broken souls looking for a purpose. Even whilst sleeping, they could never escape their pasts. Or futures either.