Messenger of Círdan

~The King of the Sea has an important message and Aerneth decides to forward it .~

oOo

Ulmo, by Kimberly80

Ulmo, by Kimberly80

Messenger of Círdan

The Mouths of Sirion, First Age 489

She was just locking up the corn storage, after filling her sack for today's work in the bakery, when Aerneth felt Thranduil's thoughts in her head. As usual her heart beat faster in anticipation. She both loved and hated his calls; she loved to see his face but hated the horrible, empty feeling she would get afterwards. And in addition she was always nervous there would be bad news. That he was hurt or in danger.

She brought her sack with her to the river and squatted beside it, waving aside a few fallen leaves from its calm surface. It ran wide and slow down here, and the water was brackish.

When she had established the connection, Thranduil's face formed. He was in his room; she recognised the ceiling with the many glittering crystals he had once put there to resemble stars. When the picture had cleared, Aerneth saw that Thranduil wore his cool, neutral expression that made him look like a statue of smooth glass. Bad news, then.

She suppressed the mixed feelings of worry and annoyance and took on a cool face herself. "Good morning, husband."

"Wife." He nodded curtly.

"To what do I owe the honor?" He normally only called her a few times a year, usually at the holidays – and it was less than a month since the Autumn Hunt feast.

"I wanted to inform you I have moved back to Menegroth with the remaining march-wardens, and after the demise of Beleg Cúthalion I am now made full captain." His face got even stiffer.

Something disastrous must have happened. Last time Thranduil called he had lived in Amon Rûdh and claimed to be successfully defending the Guarded Plain.

"How did he die?" Aerneth had never liked Beleg, but hearing about the demise of an elf was always sad.

"It is a long story."

Aerneth sat down. "I am in no hurry." She was; a whale hunting team was setting out tomorrow and she had promised them lembas, but she instinctively knew he wanted to tell her, and probably needed it too.

Sighing, Thranduil told of the dwarf's betrayal and the orc attack, and how he and Beleg had gone after Túrin when he was captured. "When we finally found him he had been tortured for many days and was confused. Beleg cut him loose, but somehow the sword... somehow it nicked him, and Túrin thought he was attacked by an orc and wrestled Beleg down and... Killed him." His voice wavered ever so slightly. "Queen Melian always said Anglachel was an evil sword. I wish Beleg had taken another."