Part 30

"Congratulations! You must be proud that your seniors have entrusted you with such an important excavation just four months after joining the institution. I am sure their trust in you is well-deserved and well-placed." Diya Singh Shekhawat was ecstatic. Her cheeks were starting to ache from all the smiling, but she couldn't contain her excitement and overwhelming joy.

"The treat is on me today! What would you like to order? I'm thinking of having another baklava and a bowl of pasta. You should definitely try them, they're delicious." A playful laugh escaped him as he pinched her cheeks. "You're such a foodie! You already had a three-course meal before I got here, and now you want more!"

Diya laughed along. "It's considered impolite to not accompany your friend while they eat, isn't it? I didn't really have a choice."

Atharv raised an eyebrow. "Really? That's the best excuse you could come up with?"

Diya made a face and pushed the menu towards Atharv. "Just pick something quickly."

Atharv slid the menu towards her with a smirk. "Why don't you just order for yourself? You always end up eating more from my plate anyway, so it's better if you choose what you want. That way, I won't have to hear your endless complaints about the taste."

Diya rolled her eyes and looked at him from beneath her lashes. A blush spread across her cheeks. "Your attempts at teasing me won't stop me from enjoying a variety of dishes. I'm definitely ordering!"

With a crooked smile, Atharv shook his head and pulled at the corners of his mouth. He couldn't bring himself to admit it, but every time she reached for a bite from his plate, his heart sang a joyous tune reminiscent of their childhood days. It was like being transported back in time to when they were carefree and happy. Being able to make her laugh like a child thrilled and comforted him, bringing a sense of excitement and liveliness into his otherwise dull and serious life. He eagerly looked forward to their weekly outings and spontaneous dates, feeling as if he had finally found an oasis in the desert he had been wandering through. These moments with her injected energy and passion into his mundane routine.

"I order- "

The sound of ammunition being fired echoed through the air, both deafening and exhilarating. As he took in the panicked voices of the crowd around him, his gaze landed on his beloved partner, who was now covered in blood and writhing in pain.

"DIYA!" he cried out in anguish.

He hurried over to Diya's side, but his gaze quickly flickered towards the man running away with a long-range rifle. No additional proof or hints were needed for him to comprehend the situation. Sujith Singh Shekhawat had tried to kill him, and his beloved daughter had become a victim of his treacherous plan.

****

Hospital,

Pranav couldn't keep still as he paced in front of the operation theater. The tension between his fears and hopes only grew with each passing second. The steady beeping of machines from inside the theater only added to his anxiety, causing his breathing and heart rate to become irregular.

Atharv had just returned from a call with the Commissioner, looking just as disheveled and panicked as Pranav felt. His bloodshot eyes and labored breathing mirrored Pranav's own appearance, but his jaw was clenched and fists were tightly balled - hinting at a hidden story that Pranav couldn't decipher.

Pranav was taken aback by the news of the shooting at the restaurant. He didn't realize that shootings were a common occurrence in India as well. Something felt off, and it seemed like Atharv had been keeping something from him. Was Atharv the real target of the shooter? Could it have been planned by his business rivals? When Pranav asked for answers, Atharv's response was barely audible, but it shook Pranav to his core. Sujith Singh Shekhawat was behind it all - those words sent shockwaves through Pranav's heart and mind, causing him to lose his footing.

"What? How could this happen?"

"They caught the shooter. He admitted that he was hired to kill me. Diya -"

Atharv winced and let out a small whimper. He had put her in danger because of his connection with him. The guilt had faded away for a while when he was with her, but now Sujith's cruel actions had stripped away the happiness and peace from his life once again."

Pranav ran his fingers through his hair and tugged at it in frustration. How could he have overlooked that possibility? "Damn it! I already called him. He's on his way here. Shit! I should have consulted with you first." Atharv let out an exasperated sigh. He quickly grabbed his phone and dialed a number. "I'll tell the hospital security to not allow him inside."

Sujith declared his arrival with a confident flair, interrupting the younger men's angry glances towards him. Ignoring their disapproving stares, he headed towards the theater.

"You have no place here, Mr. Shekhawat. Not after your actions. You seem unaware, but I must inform you that the police are searching for you in connection to your despicable deed."

Sujith paid no heed to Atharv's words and peered through the glass on the theater door, hoping to catch a glimpse of his beloved daughter. Unfortunately, the door opened into the lobby instead of the actual theater.

"You tried to take my daughter away from me. I am her father. Her mother is desperate to see her, but you have manipulated her and prevented her from meeting us. You have turned her into your marionette, Atharv Singh Chauhan, which is why she is the one undergoing surgery instead of you."

"I never prevented her from seeing you. She made the decision herself-"

"Don't even mention her choice when you abducted her and held her captive in your home. It's possible that she has developed Stockholm Syndrome after everything you've put her through!"

Atharv had no way to defend himself against Sujith's accusations. Could it be true that his questionable actions stripped away her ability to make a real choice, leaving her with only the option of staying with him and developing feelings for him? Was there some truth in Sujith's angry words?

"But I refuse to let this continue, Atharv Singh Chauhan. It ends here and now! If I'm destined for prison, at least it will be for a just cause!" And once again, the sound of a gunshot echoes in his ears.

___________________________________________________