Chapter 20: Heart to Heart between Alberta and Eddie

It’s Moroi night when Eddie went to meet Alberta at the Track field and he saw her look at the sunrise basking in the sunshine. He came and stood by her side and said “hello Guardian Petrov, how are you?” Alberta looked at him with a smile and said “I’m well. Castile, thanks for asking” and beckoned him to join her on the bleachers. They sat in silence watching Rose and Dimitri run laps. Eddie asked Alberta “where were she and Rose yesterday?” Alberta said she took Rose to Missoula to shop for a wedding dress’. Eddie said ‘”ah, I see. Did Rose find the dress?” “Yep, she did” stated Alberta.

Then Alberta told Eddie that she has been meaning to check up on him and see how he is doing but was terribly busy. “So Eddie, how are you, really?” Alberta asked. Eddie said “well, I am okay physically, but am plagued by nightmares. The kidnapping has resurrected nightmares from Spokane. I’m just glad to be alive, and that I have loyal friend in Rose and now Dimitri. I have to admit everything that happened in the past few months has made me start questioning my future. I guess Rose and Dimitri told you about their plans”.

Alberta said “the nightmares will eventually fade, but am glad you’re doing well physically. The most important thing you need to get through this is to have support of good friends and someone to talk to; you will get better in time. Yes, Belikov and Rose had told me about their plans and the wedding. I’m delighted for them as they deserve happiness and a life of their own choosing. I support them. Really, I have another reason to meet with you, Eddie. I think you should really think about transferring to St Basil as I feel it’ll be a better environment for you. You could learn to do carpentry and whatnot there. Also you will be close to Rose and Dimitri there”.

Eddie said “how did you know that I’m interested in Carpentry? Did Rose tell you?” Alberta looked at him puzzled and said “no, Rose hasn’t told me anything about you and carpentry. Why?” Eddie said “well, Rose told me about her vision regarding me and told me about two possible paths. One of the paths is that I went to vocational school and became a highly skilled Carpenter with a business of my own. In fact, I was waiting for a sign to show me which path I should follow”.  Alberta looked at him amazement and said “I swear I didn’t know, Eddie. Rose hasn’t shared her visions about you to me. Wow, Rose is amazing!” Smiling, Eddie said “yes, no doubt she is amazing”.  “Anyway back to the subject of St Basil, you should really think about transferring there quite soon. I won’t be here after the 1st of April to enroll you or facilitate your transfer” said Alberta. Eddie looked at her shocked and said “where are you going, Guardian Petrov?”

Alberta looked around and said that “this conversation stays between you and I. Dimitri and Rose know already. I have listened to Rose’s visions about me. That has caused me to really think deeply on my future. So I have put in resignation from St Vlad’s yesterday and already have a job waiting for me at St. Basil. Then when you and Rose graduate, I’ll retire from Guardianship along with Belikov. Then I’ll move to Baia and live there to be close to Rose and Dimitri. Mind you, it’s the most difficult decision of mine to stop living by the code, but I have a gut feeling it’s the right thing for me to do. There are more of Rose’s visions that have caused me to decide but you won’t know about her visions until later”.

Eddie sat there stupefied and thought to himself ‘wow, here is a senior Guardian who is also quitting her career and putting herself first. It’s a sign for me’.  Eddie looked at Alberta and said “Alberta, I am shocked by your decision, and the fact you’re leaving US for Siberia.  I support you in your decision; don’t fear I will judge you. I believe you are making the right decision. Alright, please enroll me into St Basil and put in the transfer papers as soon as possible. I’m already eighteen so, I don’t need permission from Kirova. Do I leave at the same time as Rose and Dimitri?”Alberta said “I appreciate your support and thanks for not judging me. No, you will not leave at the same time as Rose and Dimitri. In an effort to deflect suspicion, instead you’ll be leaving on the same day as I and we’ll travel together. If you don’t mind the company, Eddie” smiled Alberta.

They looked at the young couple running a lap until they saw Rose stopped running and rushed to the shrubbery and vomited. Dimitri stopped too and hurried to her side and held her hair back. Once she stopped vomiting, he wrapped an arm around her and walked her across the track to the bleacher and seated her next to Eddie and Alberta and went to the gym bag to get a bottle of water for her.

Eddie looked at her worriedly and said “Rose, are you alright?” Rose sat there pale and drank the water Dimitri gave her and he replied “she is alright”. Alberta looked at her in a sympathetic, yet knowing manner.

All four of them sat there in silence.  

Eddie said to Rose that “Alberta has convinced him to transfer to St Basil”. Rose beamed at him and was thrilled he’s going to St Basil with her now.

Alberta spoke up and said to Eddie that “she will fax the papers to St Basil tonight and call them tomorrow to confirm your enrollment.

Now it’s time for all of you to go to bed”.

Goodnights were said all around as they all went their ways.