Idiot Nation

A/N: I'm kind of in a depressed mood. Meh. Listening to some melanchony Green Day to help me get over it :(

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. Just when you think it was all going to plan...

At least I'm nearly finished this story :) YES, I have wrote the last chapter (Chapter 40, just as I planned) and the next update will be on Sunday/Monday (unless I can get a night out on Monday! *texttexttext*) and then chapter 40 will hopefully be up on Tuesday/Wednesday. As much as I loved working on this story, I think I'll be content to set it to rest eventually. You don't get the same thrill from rewriting as you do the actual writing process. Plus, I can't wait to start working on other stuff, which I hope you will all stick around to read! :)

But in the meantime, enjoy chapter 38.

------------------------------------------------------------------

“You?” Jordan asked, sounding shocked, hurt, angry and disgusted at the same time. “Idina... are you being serious?”

She nodded stiffly, “I sold the story.”

“See, I told you it wasn’t me,” Jessica snarled at me. “Looks like you should learn to pick your friends a little better, Gracie. That’s the perks of being the rockstars step daughter, isn’t it?” She smirked and turned on her heels and walked away. I only stood there, in shock. I didn’t know how to feel. Idina betrayed me. All of us, for that matter.

“I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have to,” she said, choking up instantly. “But I did... you don’t understand, Grace...”

“You told the press? Why would you lie like that?” I asked her, my voice hoarse. Idina swallowed a lump in her throat, her eyes darted around the street in a apranoid frenzy before she launched her explanation.

“He made me,” she muttered, rubbing her arm. “He told me if I didn’t... I’d regret it...”

“Who did?” Aiden asked, slowly. Idina shook her head, refusing to answer the question. “Was it... it wasn’t Billie was it?”

“No, no no, why would he ask me to do that?” she spluttered instantly. “The idea wasn’t the ruin anyone’s lives, it was to get money!”

“So you decide to ruin one of your friends lives to get money?! Are you serious?!” Lisa demanded, raising an eyebrow. “Idina, how could you?”

“His name is Scott,” she gulped, trembling. “Scott Capone, and he’s... well... he runs a gang, you see...” She looked at the ground for a moment and then she looked up at me. “I used to work for him, until I ran away. Well, I didn’t just... work for him, I...” She looked at Jordan for support, and he seemed to understand.

“Scott... she told me about him, it’s the truth,” he said, slowly. “Scott Capone was her boyfriend once. He was kind of abusive... and she ran away from him.”

“He wants moeny for my freedom from the gang, you see, money I don’t have,” Idina said. I raised an eyebrow. “You were my only chance, Grace, I had to do it. I couldn’t think of any other way. I was too scared to rob anywhere, I couldn’t just ask for three hundred bucks on the spot... I needed something. But you have to understand, I greatly... greatly regret it...”

“No, you don’t,” I scoffed. “You’re just happy you get a creep off your back, aren’t you?!”

“No!”

“Forget it!” I snapped at her. “You were my friend, Idina! I trusted you! And you did... that. It was disgusting what you did!”

“I told you, I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have to!”