9

Everyone was in their respective cars, I was driving Caroline was in the passenger seat and Prim was in the back of the car reading. "Why didn't Elena come with us?" She asked I looked at her through the mirror. "Because I don't want you two arguing." I said simply. The less conflict the better. 

"But she's your wife." "Daughter trumps wife." Caroline informs. "But I'm not his daughter." "Will you quit saying that." She says turning to look in the back. "He didn't raise me... I'm not his daughter he owes me nothing." "And if you was my daughter I'd owe you?" I asked intrigued. "If you was my father you owe me the decency to raise me and teach me." She said back dryly. I can't work her out, one minute we're getting along the next we're not. I don't think she knows how she feels yet. 

Though she called me dad today so I'm taking the win. I held her like I did when she was young and she held me back tight. "Sorry." She said. "I'm just worried about mother." She said. "Your mother will be just fine." I remind her though I didn't believe it too much either. "I can stay with Bonnie tonight... You and Elena can have some time together and Caroline and Uncle Stef." "Uncle Stef?" I questioned with a smile. "He's not as bad as I thought." "Does this mean I'm Aunty Care now?" Caroline asked in her preppy voice. Prim strutted we mind eye-contact through the mirror and I smiled. 

"Never really had much of a family." She admitted. "I had mum, and then Damon was around for a while." "You were?" Caroline asked shocked. "Until she was six." I said making my face blank. It still hurts knowing I left her. It hurts and I can hear her crying. "What like you lived there?" "No... I came by once a week." "Friday's." Prim said, she remembered. "We'd play hide and seek." I added seeing her nod. "In the woods, where were we were that week." "I didn't know that."

"Well Forbes theres a lot you don't know about me." I said cockily lightening the tone. "Why did you stop?" She asked. "Can we put some music on... like in Stefan's car?" Prim asked stopping me from answering the question. I guess she wanted a change in topic. "Yeah." I reached over and put the radio on and she went back to reading. 

We drove all the way to night fall. Prim was asleep in the back. "Let me drive to the motel, go sit with her." Caroline suggested. "She's fine." I say keeping my eyes on the road. "When they're sleeping is the only time they don't object to cuddles." She informs me. I frowned at her. "I saw you holding her earlier today... you looked happy holding her." "I hadn't held her since she was six, it was just a familiar feeling." "Exactly, come on, just go sit with her." She encouraged. 

"I'm never going to be father of the year Caroline." "She doesn't need father of the year... she just wants you." She said with a smile. I agreed after another five minutes of driving and climbed in the back. I pulled her head off the door of the car and leant her onto my shoulder. She stared a little. 'It's just me, you're safe." I whispered to her and she seemed to settle right away. "Hey pass me my jacket." I say to Caroline it was in the footwell of the passenger seat. She reached for it and through it back to me keeping her eyes on the road. I laid it over Prim's body she was only in one of the dresses so she must have been cold now we're in a cooler state. 

I held her securely as we drove the last few miles to the motel. Instead of waking her I carried her out to the desk to get our keys. I used my jacket to shield her from the cold winds despite how cold I was. "Hello welcome to motel 6 how can I help you." "Three rooms please." I say. "Twin, double single?" "Two double and one twin please." Stefan says. "Right okay." He got us our keys and we went to the rooms. I laid Prim down in the twin. "Shout if she wakes up...she's been having nightmares." "She'll be okay Damon." Bonnie tells me resting a hand on my shoulder. I was stood by the door getting ready to go to my own room. "I can share with Elena if you'd like." Bonnie suggested. "No Prim would kill me." Bonnie frowned. "She suggested we split the rooms like this, so I can spend time with Elena." I tell her. "She's the kid, she doesn't make choices." "You've met her right?" Bonnie shrugged. "Either go or lay down." She tells me.