16

The second I let go of Jungkook and Taehyung I could feel the slight headache appearing in the back of my head. I couldn't bring myself to grab them again as I slowly made eye contact with both my parents. They were walking towards me, worry and confusion sat first in their faces and I could feel the tears pushing from behind my eyes out of reflex as I really looked at them, painfully aware I would have to try to explain something I didn't yet have an explanation for. At least not one that made complete sense to me yet. I took a deep breath to centre myself as I also stepped forward towards them.

"We haven't heard from you in days, you won't answer your phone, Martin said you moved out, he was heartbroken, what's going on?" My mom hugged me close, her scent and warmth immediately calming me, but pulled me to an arms length to look at me once more. My dad was standing close to my mom but his eyes were focused on something behind us.

"Do they know who we are?" Jungkook spoke through the connection. He was stressed, I could feel it.

"No" I responded simply, keeping my focus on my parents trying to calm my mom from making a scene in front of all these people.

"Okay, your dad is staring Taehyung down, is he homophobic?"

"No? I don't think so." I said once more, afraid to say more in fear of accidentally speaking out loud. I wasn't one hundred percent confident with my communication skills through the bond yet, and I didn't want to seem weirder in front of my parents than I already probably did.

I looked between my mom and my dad and suddenly I saw my dad's face soften and his attention moved from behind me and back to me.

"I'm sorry, I needed time to myself" I explain and told my parents that I had been staying with friends and had taken time off work because of the abrupt changes in my life. Keeping my explanations short and to the point as the my headache increased and I didn't want to stand there talking about my innermost feelings at a public restaurant. They both seemed to process my words better than I had expected and could probably sense that I didn't want to have this conversation here.

"I see your friends are waiting for you, don't let us keep you." My mom said and nodded towards Jungkook and Taehyung. They had walked closer to me and when my mom had said that, Jungkook placed his hand on my shoulder in what probably looked like an innocent gesture for emotional support and I slowly moved my hand to rest on top of his, feeling the headache subside the second our skin touched. My shoulders relaxed and I could finally draw a proper breath.

I smiled and nodded to my parents now more able to think clearly. "We'll talk later, yeah?" I asked.

"You've got a phone. Use it. Let's go for lunch soon and catch up properly" My dad said as he hugged me awkwardly before they both walked back to the waiting area of the restaurant. I turned around, meeting the worried eyes of both of my soulmates not able to give them more than a nod before I grabbed their hands once more, now desperate for their touch to calm me as we walked out of the crowded restaurant.

The million thoughts spinning around in my head when we walked down the street towards the apartment distracted me from what ever conversation Jungkook and Taehyung were having next to me. I couldn't help but walk down the path of "What if my parents hate me when I tell them" "What if they think I'm a bad person?" "Would they even let me explain?"

I could feel the tears once again press behind my eyes, I was determined to not start crying in public. I might not be able to stop myself once I'm alone but I was strong enough to avoid an emotional breakdown on the street.

I shifted my eyes to look at the buildings, and the passing cars, people sitting at bars, anything to keep myself distracted. Then I looked into Taehyung's eyes and it was like all my worries melted away. Right, I could escape in him.