Ch-9 Forging Friendships (part 2)

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allaah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.'

- Aameen.

Chapter Nine

Forging Friendships (part 2)

To say that George fit in the posh school without any difficulties would not be accurate, but contrary to his fears he didn't suffer much either. Having your own room (though it was small) was still a huge unexpected treat for George who did a little dance standing up on the hard bed.

Except for the first few months in his First Form where he observed and tried to learn everything carefully, he adjusted to mingling with the others in the common room, classrooms and other places where you were constantly monitored and corrected, mostly he kept his mouth shut about himself and refrained from doing any mischief unlike in his old school back home. 

His housemaster was strict but kind and George learned from his mistakes, tried to stay out of trouble, out of the prefect's way and gradually adjusted to all the individual attention and elaborate care that the tutors provided to each pupil.

He did not make any close friends yet neither did anybody reject him as he became part of groups where he usually cracked jokes, many lame ones but others laughed anyway and some nicknamed him, 'pretty boy' while a few girls gave him particular attention as usual.

George became homesick at times, especially when he sat in the huge old chapel (if he could he would have skipped but visiting the chapel was compulsory), so at times he missed home, wanting his mother's care and fussing, his father's reassuring smiles, his siblings annoyance and support but otherwise he enjoyed being in this boarding school which was itself like an elaborate family and when his grades improved a bit (obviously with all the individual attention to his academics), his parents couldn't ask for more. He hugely enjoyed being a part of many sports, excelling in some, making friends and competing with the other Houses.

The downside to going to this expensive school was without realising, George took to lying easily. He avoided speaking about his parents' jobs or about his siblings or his small home; rather listening to the others' talk about their visits to exclusive shooting lodges, private beaches, yacht trips and foreign countries, he in turn said about the exotic destinations that he had gone during the holidays.

George lived in the dread that they would find him out and would boot him from the top of the social hierarchy to the lowest rung where he would be isolated and mocked at... so he desperately tried to fit in with all the carefreeness that only affluence would bring not realising that he was slowly losing all the values that his parents had taught.

Perhaps he was too busy learning, adjusting and trying not to make any serious blunders, that George noticed Alexander Montex properly for the first time in his Second Form. He was a thin pale boy belonging to another House and they usually had classes together.

Alex sat apart from others and when group activities were formed by the teachers he reluctantly participated.

"Him? Don't you know? He's Alex Montex, a snob! But don't mess with him, ya know? Heard of the Montex Hospitals? Yeah, they all belong to him, and the rumour is he beats you up then sends to his hospital to patch you back," his friend hooted in laughter but George only saw the stiff line of Alex's back that somehow seemed lonely to him.

That had been a strange moment for George because he had always feared that his friends would desert him when they came to know of his lack of wealth, yet here sat probably one of the wealthiest kids in school and it appeared that he had no friends at all. Or perhaps he didn't care. Because even if Alex didn't bother, George noted how some boys and girls still made efforts to include him in their activities.