⤫1.20

The sound of the clock ticking away at regular intervals became louder and louder everytime Chaerin tried to focus on the work in front of her, grades were slowly beginning to slip as she couldn't find the will to concentrate on it

A knock at her door pulled her out of a trance she was stuck in, her Mother peering her head around the door with a smile.

"Working hard?"
"Barely working at all." Chaerin groaned, leaning back in her chair before glancing over at her.

"You'd tell me if there was something going on right?"

Kyunghwa was taken aback by the sudden questioning, gulping down the sudden dryness in her throat with a nod.
"Of course honey, why do you ask?"

Chaerin eyed her Mum as she was wringing her hands and shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

"Nothing just...I'm glad to know you won't hide things from me."

There was a silence that fell over them but Chaerin looked away from her obviously torn Mother.
"Listen," she began, gaining her daughter's attention. "There's some...evil in the world. An evil we don't want you to ever encounter so we are doing our best to make sure nothing happens."

"Evil...as in Demon?"
Kyunghwa's face paled but she nodded with a forced smile.
"You should take a break honey, you'll over work yourself."

Chaerin nodded in agreement, standing up to stretch her sore muscles.
"I might go for a walk." She spoke, glancing at the clock which showed it was in fact only six thirty in the afternoon.

"Okay, make sure you're home before dark."

The door clicked shut and Chaerin's smile dropped, glancing over at Bubbles who layed peacefully on her bed.

"She is definitely hiding something." She murmured, walking over to gently pet her cat with her head full of thoughts.

"I need to find out what and why it involves me somehow...dying at 18?" She said outloud but as she did, she realised how stupid it sounded.

It could well be a prank Jisung was pulling to make her anxious but the way her Mother reacted showed there was more than she let on.

"Oh it's you." Chaerin spoke, putting her phone into the pocket of her sweatpants- tucking hair that had fallen out of her low bun behind her ear.

At the sound of her voice, the tall Demon glanced over at her and his eyes narrowed.
"Are you stalking me now?"
"Why would I stalk you?" She shook her head at his absurd remark.

"Aren't you supposed to be...in hell?"
"Aren't you supposed to be scared of me?" He shot back, looking at her.

Chaerin pondered upon it briefly before shrugging.
"I figured if you really wanted to kill me you would've already, plus...I wanted to talk."

"Yeah, no thanks." He muttered in distaste, turning around to leave but Chaerin called out to him.
"I just- no one is telling me anything."

"And you think I will?"
"Well, I was hoping so." She confessed, leaning her arms over the railing to look down on it.

"No one is telling me anything and it just...feels a bit shit to be honest." She spoke quietly. "How can I supposedly meant to die and no one tell me anything? Like is it some kind of sacrifice like...or did someone threaten my life-"

"You talk too much." He cut her off and she pursed her lips shut.
"Sorry." She apologised, shaking her head whilst she stared out at the ocean.

Jisung eyed her, the way she had a crestfallen expression and a sadness swimming in her eyes.

"Where's your Guardian Angel?" He lightly mocked the thought of Jeno and Chaerin hummed in consideration.
"I think he's just busy? Probably with his girlfriend." She shrugged.

"And he's letting you hang around a Demon...wow I must say his Guardian skills are a bit shit."

"Hey, don't say that!" Chaerin's eyebrows furrowed in disapproval at his insult but the demon had no ounce of care.

"Why, are you going to go cry to him?"
His condescending tone made Chaerin lightly scoff, shaking her head at his attitude.

"Are you always such a pain in the ass? You can be nice you know?"
"I am nice."
"Sure and I'm mentally stable." She joked sarcastically.

"I can tell." He commented, causing Chaerin to let out a humoured breath of air, rolling her eyes.
"Whatever." She commented, her hands leaving the railing as she glanced at him.

"Do you actually need tutoring or is it just some kind of ploy to annoy me?"
"I'll let that small brain of yours think about it and decide which one is more likely."

"You're so annoying."
"Thanks." He said dryly, narrowing his eyes at her as she couldn't help the corners of her lips to tug up.

"What?" He eyed her, his face contorted in discomfort.
"Nothing." She shrugged, turning around as she decided to head back home. "Why did you choose to help me that day?"

"I wasn't doing it for you." He spoke. "I just have to keep you alive till your birthday."
"Well...that's um comforting I guess." She spoke awkwardly, clearly joking but she couldn't help but feel weirded out.

"Thank you anyway."

The girl didn't gain a response, turning around to begin making her way back as the Demon's eyes watched her leave.

Well I see 👀

Well I see 👀