Chapter 24

The boy yelped, hurtling backward in pain after James had punched him. He then placed a hand over his nose, panicking when he realized it was bleeding. The next moment, the other Slytherin boy angrily sprang forward to hit James as revenge, and a fight started between the four boys. Jenna started to panic, having no idea what she was supposed to do.

     Mayhem fell upon the hallway. Everyone who was passing by gathered around, some laughing and some gasping. Jenna rushed forward, trying to pull them apart, but it was no use.

     Although the chaos soon came to an end when they heard someone shout over the crowd, "Out of my way! I said out of my way!"

     Looking around, Jenna's eyes widened when she saw Professor McGonagall rushing toward them from the end of the hallway, angrier than she had ever seen her before. The crowd that had gathered around them quickly splattered at her sight, giving way to the furious-looking woman. Although the fighting boys hadn't noticed her presence yet.

    Once Professor McGonagall reached them, with a quick flick of her wand she magically separated the four boys, and they were drawn back as if by the force of invisible strings.

     Excited murmurs filled the hallway. At this point, Professor Slughorn and Professor Flitwick were rushing toward them as well, both looking extremely concerned.

     "Merlin's beard!" Professor Slughorn gasped as his eyes fell upon the bloody nose of the Slytherin boy. "Avery! What happened to you, boy!?"

     "It was them, Professor!" said the other Slytherin boy, pointing at the three Gryffindors. "They started it!"

     "We wouldn't have started anything if you hadn't insulted our parents!" James retorted.

     "That's enough, Potter," Professor McGonagall said firmly, silencing them all. "Mr. Mulciber, take Mr. Avery up to the hospital wing immediately."

     Professor Slughorn followed the two Slytherin boys out of the hallway, looking extremely concerned. Professor Flitwick then gestured everybody else to leave.

     "Go on! Back to your Houses!" said the tiny professor, managing to at last empty the hallway.

     "Where do you three think you're going!?" Professor McGonagall called after Sirius, James, and Jenna, who were trying to sneak away among the other students, but were obviously unsuccessful.

     With a sigh, Professor McGonagall turned to face the three first years who stood there guiltily, avoiding her eyes.

    "Why is it always you three who cause trouble?" she said, as if mostly speaking to herself.

    "We didn't start it! Those two insulted their parents!" Sirius protested, but a glare from Professor McGonagall was enough to silence him.

     "You'll be serving detention until the end of the month, seeing as apparently this week wasn't enough for you," McGonagall went on, and their eyes widened at her words.

     "What about them!? They just get away with everything!?" James retorted.

     "I'm sure Professor Slughorn will find the right means to deal with them, being the Head of their House. You three, however, are my responsibility." There was a tone in her voice filled with worry as she spoke the last few words.

      "You'll be coming to my office tomorrow morning before breakfast, and we can file your detention. All three of you," said Professor McGonagall.

     "Wait, me too!?" Jenna, who had remained quiet throughout the whole argument, finally spoke up in shock.

     "Yes, Miss Potter, you too!" Professor McGonagall said sternly.

      "But she didn't do anything!" Sirius argued, much to Jenna's surprise. "If anything, she was trying to —"

     "Quiet, Mr. Black!" Professor McGonagall cut him off sharply. She then shook her head, saying, "Now I suggest you go back to your dormitories. All three of you!"

     Huffing, the three Gryffindors turned away and walked out of the hallway grumpily, not uttering a single word to each other until they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady and entered the common room.

    "I can't believe this!" Jenna finally let out, shaking her head furiously. "Detention again!"

     "Oh cheer up, J.P," James started with a grin, "it's only for a month. We've got seven whole years here."

     Gritting her teeth together, Jenna turned to face him sharply. James's grin abruptly dropped the moment he saw the angry look across her complexion.

      "You know," Jenna began, "I wouldn't have minded going to detention for stuff like breaking into the kitchen for some Butterbeer, or for sneaking off to the Forbidden Forest! But not because of fighting others! So we're stuck in detention for the rest of the month because of your big head!"

     "What!? You're mad at me!?" James exclaimed angrily, frowning. "Have you forgotten that they called our parents blood-traitors!?" 

      "They wouldn't have called them that if you hadn't started an argument with them in the first place, and for no reason at all!" Jenna retorted, fuming.

     Sirius had taken a step back in silence, not wanting to get in the middle of an argument between the siblings.

    "They laughed at us! Did you expect me to let it go that easily!?" said James, scoffing.

     "Yes!" Jenna nodded. "Are you going to punch everyone who smirks at your direction?"

     "No, of course I won't punch them." James shrugged, but then grinned again, saying jokingly, "By then I would learn a few good jinxes."

    Jenna shook her head at him again in disappointment. "You know what? I'm just gonna go to sleep. I'm too exhausted from our last stupid detention. And now we've got another whole month coming up, thanks to you."

     So without another word, Jenna turned around and walked up the spiral staircase, entering the girls' dormitory and shutting the door behind her loudly that caught everyone's attention in the common room.

    James rolled his eyes, turning to face Sirius who was still standing behind him. "Could you believe her?"

     "Girls." Sirius shook his head, as if he couldn't understand them.

     "Well, if she wants to get cranky each time we end up in detention, then be it," said James moodily.

     "Yeah," said Sirius in agreement as the two boys made their way up toward the boys' dormitory. "By the way! I heard about this secret passageway on the fourth floor! I heard it's supposed to lead you to the dungeons. It's the quickest way to the Potions' classroom. We can save ten minutes if we take that passageway."

    "Cool!" said James, looking both impressed and excited.

     "What do you say we try it tomorrow?" Sirius suggested with a grin, but James shook his head.

     "Nah, I say we try it tonight." He smirked. "Let's go and get Remus and Peter."