Chapter 23 - That's what I get

Diana watched Tristan place her shaken and blood-drenched daughter in the antique bathtub, and Diana turned on the tap. "You shouldn't really be in here." It felt wrong for her to let the man watch her daughter bathe, "I've seen it all before, and she needs me.""She needs someone, and I'm family. Could you take Paul to cover up what has happened please, that would be far more useful. Her DNA must be everywhere." She shooed the overly helpful man out, what did he mean by his statement? My Alexandrya is still a child. She took a deep breath, a small child in need of her father. Alexa remained unmoving as she poured in bath salts and other bath concoctions she had made to soothe and promote healing in humans. She watched her daughter's empty black eyes stare into nothingness as she sponged the blood off of her. After some time Diana had made it to the mass of encrusted black hair, she didn't dare shampoo it. And ladened it all with as much conditioner as possible. She took a wide-toothed comb and started to tease the ends into submission, slowly taking her time. Halfway up Alexa started to relax and sink into the tub, speaking even. "Thank you D," she whispered. "You're welcome, sweetheart." Diana continued to attend to the hair as she had been doing for fifteen years. Her daughter was shanking, but ridding herself of contamination, breathing easier. She drained and replaced the water a fresh. "Rinse." Alexa obeyed, submerging herself, wide eyes from the bottom of the bath as she caught on to Diana. "Houggh." She inhaled and she rose and reprocessed. "D is lost, so now is Sarah." "Alexa sweetheart.""Don't call me that, I don't know you. What are you doing here? Get out!" "But." Alexa's eyes turned yellow, claws bearing as she stood to her full height despite the slippery surface of the tub. She towered over the smaller female, claws extending, teeth protruding, ears extending, she snarled inhumanly "Get out!" This was a worrying development, she could handle a day a month of waking a wolf but this, the alien left. She needed to give her daughter space and work everything out. She sat and assessed Paul still leather-clad and a Tristan in police uniform walked into the kitchen, concern etched into both of their faces. "Where is she? How is she doing? Can I see her?" The worried wolf asked, he had seen death and trauma take their toll on many. "She doesn't want to see anyone." Diana shook her mug of tea lightly as she tried to flatly answer. "I'm going to try." Tristan had disappeared out and up. Paul relaxed into the chair next to her, avoiding her gaze, "Don't look at me like that, I'm not equipped to handle the situation." "You have a sister.""Exactly in my experience if there is a screaming teenage girl, just do what she says, stay away, and come back when it's all blown over. Simple as."Tristan crept up to the young wolf's door and knocked firmly. No answer. "Alexa, it's Tristan.""I know, go away.""Come on, we should talk about tonight.""No, I'm never talking to anyone ever again." He could hear her pain through the sturdy wooden door. "You know you're acting like a child." He stabbed in the dark if he could just get in there. Hold her for a moment, they would both feel better. "Alexa at least tell me what happened?""No, I...""Did something happen to Sarah?""No, yes, I.""Did you lose control? Come on just let me in I understand.""Yes.""You hurt her?""Yes." Her voice had become so faint she was almost inaudible to his sensitive ears, he broke the door's lock with one motion, readying himself to force his way in. It barely budged, she must be on the other side holding it shut, embedding herself in the floor, using all her force. "I said go, I'm dangerous." "I can handle a little wolf, I'm not human like she was.""Was. Was. She was under my protection and I couldn't save her. You need to get away from me, get yourself to safety away from me, anyone close to me is at risk. They won't stop, that's why I kill them, and then they won't stop taking people from me, everyone since before I can remember, then D, now Sarah. Tristan, you have to leave me!""It was not your fault! You can't save everyone all the time.""She followed me, you are here for me, Paul is lingering downstairs probably concocting a scheme with his sister to kill me. I won't be to blame if you leave. I could have saved her, I should have saved her.""You were alone, it felt like a trap. You can't expect to be able to deal with everything that life throws at you.""But I have to, had to.""Alexa that's far too much for one person.""Where were you?""What do you mean.""She was a member of the public you were supposed to protect, why didn't you get there earlier?""I was on my way.""If you were there earlier my best friend would still be alive!""Alexa it wasn't my.""I hate you. Go away you monster. You probably didn't want the competition for my time and waited outside the doors until she had died. Well, you were wrong, I am no longer yours and I never want to see you again ever!" He knew it wasn't the mature or right thing to do to leave her like that, shouting abuse at the door, but he left, walked out of the door, walked out of the great house, and into the night. That's what I get for getting involved with teenagers.