♀the girl who was asked

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
_____________________

"𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧?"_____________________

_____________________

Four wonderful years we've been here at Hogwarts. Naturally, within those four years it didn't take too long to come to the realization that studying comes much easier to some of us than it does others. Now I'm well aware of the irony when I say that, I find it extremely arduous to try and study in the library. I don't know there, perhaps, is such thing as too much silence. 

And when Hermione finally got fed up with my constant complaining that the source of my little work ethic, and less than fair grades came from my work environment, the search for a new place began.

That's how it began. Every now and then, the four of us will trade the quiet library for for the great outdoors. There's a rock just a few feet away from the shoreline of the Black Lake. Something about the way the leaves rustle, the sounds of the trees swaying, the sound of the rocks Ron often skips when he needs a break. It's quiet, but not too quiet. Peaceful.

Today is a beautiful day. It's a cloudy day, but I've always felt comfort in the clouds, the harsh sun sometimes too overwhelming for me. It's probably one of the last days we'll be able to spend out here before winter kicks in. We collectively decided to take advantage of that. Hermione and I sit side by side on our rock, the boys on the ground, lounging against it. All four of us scanning our Herbology textbook for an upcoming quiz sometime next week.

I do believe, now more than ever, that our peaceful little rock is the perfect place to be. A ways away from the castle. It's a gong show over there. Anywhere within five feet of that building is Yule Ball central. Sure it was fun to get caught up in the hustle and bustle for the first few days, but I'm well over the gossiping of who's going with who and even worse, who's not going with who. If I hear one more girl go on and on about the color, style, and shoes to match her dress, I may just grab all my stuff and live under this rock.

Though since I'm on the topic, I for one have been awaiting an invitation to be the date of a certain boy who lived. Actually now that I think  about it, I may just have to retract that 'for one.' It seems as though every girl around our age is itching for the same.

And truly the worst of it is that I could swear that he's nearly asked me about a jillion times. Each time we're alone and it seems the moment is finally right, he looks down at his feet then looks me in the eyes and opens his mouth to speak and then we're interrupted. Whether it be by Ron, stressing himself silly about not being able to find a date, or Hermione pestering Harry about the second task or literally anyone for that matter congratulating Harry on his work on the first task. I mean come on people, it was only a dragon. Like for Godric's sake it really wasn't all that impressive.