Rose, Aoi, and Flowers

Couple of days or week after, in the 2nd Grade classroom, after hours. Rose is leaning to a windowsill, looking outside. There's a blue-haired girl hanging at the door. Otherwise the room is empty.

"Admiring flowers, Rosie-chan? I didn't take you for one, I guess they're pretty vibrant at this time of the year though.", she says to Rose and looks outside.

"I can't see colors, Aoi."

"Your name's Rose so I guess flowers— What?! You can't see colors? Are you colorblind?! Rose why haven't you told me this before?"

"No, I'm not, I have... I've taught myself not to see them, Aoi. It's easier. And why I would have told you? We haven't talked about it before."

"Oh... you're constantly on guard I know, but to this extent?"

"I have to be, Aoi." Rose turns to look at Aoi, her eyes emotionless, her face blank. "Otherwise I die, Aoi. I have to keep everything in control or I die. Or kill everyone else and then die."

"Yeah, you're an A... And then some. It must be... Hard. And lonely."

"It is what it is, Aoi. It's necessary. I can't change it, you can't change it. Nobody can change it. Magic is what magic is. It's just how things are."

"But it's still..." Aoi says quietly and leaves the sentence hanging.

"You were going to say 'sad', weren't you?"

"..." Aoi says nothing and just looks silently forward, eyes cast downward.

"That's my point. I don't feel sad. I cannot feel sad." Rose says and walks out of the class, leaving Aoi leaning on the doorway.

"It's still sad, Rosie-chan, it's still sad..." Aoi, softly whispering to herself.