Chapter Forty-four: Saying Goodbye.

"How many more yaku is this going to take!" Tijan called from outside Valerie's room as he waited for her to come out. "We are running late."

"What do you think?" Valerie asked Blue, completely ignoring him as she held up a pink top and an identical dark blue one. She was standing in front of the huge mirror wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and underwear.

"Well obviously you're going for the blue one" Blue said, folding her arms (flippers).

"I don't know, I wear a lot of blue things, maybe I should wear pink for a change" Valerie replied and gave Blue a small smile.

Then they both burst out laughing, Valerie tossing the pink top somewhere.
"Pink. Of all colors, eww." She said and put her arms into the sleeves of the blue top.

It was an off-the-shoulders top, Mayi had made it a while ago so she decided to try it out now. She didn't plan to go all out for her send-off party.
The top had numerous buttons she could fix at the back so her wings didn't get in the way and it had puffy sleeves. It was pretty simple.

"Yeah I definitely have no clue what shoes to wear" Valerie said, staring at her reflection while holding the front of the top to her chest.
Her trustee Nikes were ruined since that was what she had worn while saving Oscavia.

"Woof," Lion said as he walked over with one of her black Air Max's in his mouth.

"Oh my gosh, that's the one!" Valerie praised and bent over to pat the puppy on the head. "Thanks Lion."

Blue glared at the dog and it smirked proudly at her in return which made her more annoyed.
"How do you trust this thing?! It has actual facial expressions!" She asked with a huff.

Valerie simply laughed.

"I am still waiting." Tijan called once more from outside.

"Give me a minute, douchebag!" She called back hoping on one foot to pull a sneaker on.

Finally she was done, all she needed to fix was the buttons.

Still holding the front to her chest with one hand, she walked over to the wall and placed a palm on it so it could part open to reveal Tijan in a grey toga and red ceremonial armor.

"You're all dressed up, cool" Valerie commented with a small smile as she tried not to get caught staring. He looked really good.
Like, Greek god kind of good.
Was he always like this?

He blinked once in slight surprise. "Was that supposed to be a compliment?" He asked.

"I think so" She said, airily. "Don't tell me you saved this outfit for this special occasion"

"I did not!" Tijan huffed and shuffled on his feet.
He did.
"Since you are finally ready, let us go..!"

"Hold on!" Valerie interrupted and grabbed his wrist to pull him along. He followed her into the room and the walls slammed shut behind them.

"What now?" He asked.

"I need to fix my buttons!" Valerie said turning briefly for him to see.

"Then fix your buttons!"

"I can't do it myself, dummy! I need help."

"Ask for Dansé's help for Kari's sake!"

"She's busy. Which is normal because she's an assistant to the King!"

"You are going to make me go late for my award!"

"Then you better get started."

Tijan gave one of his signature groans of annoyance and she smiled before turning to face the mirror again.