Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ignoring Mrs. Flo, I silently wait for the meeting to be over. In a matter of minutes we would be free for the next month.

In tradition the month before your 21st birthday you were let go. Free to roam your town and be rebellious. As much as your town allowed, that is.

Living in D.Z. I wasn't able to party or drink heavily. No, my small town of maybe two thousand has been big on swimming for decades. Having a lake that stays warm year round helps a lot in that aspect.

After world war seven ended and we- the humans- were put in our place. Our activities outside our home town were cut off.

Swimming meant everything to us. We competed nearly every weekend at the lake. Camping, finishing and having a grand old time was our towns motto.

That is unless the "visitors" show up.

We have advanced warning systems to inform us when they arrive. Curtsy of our new owners that is. Without weapons we are at their mercy. A fact they love bringing up.

"Starting from today Chrissy you have twenty-nine days until your Match arrives. Spend it wisely," Mrs. Flo literates sharply. Her bright red nails tapping the stack of papers on her lap. "If I were you, I'd be careful who I hung out with. Remember what happened to Angel when her Match appeared early?" Tutting she shakes her head in disgust and a mild case of horror.

No one has forgotten what happened to poor Robby. He is a reminder to us all waiting for our Match. Stay a virgin and away from all the opposite genders while waiting for your Match. If not, you and they will be sorry.

Hearing her dismiss the six of us, I go to stand up and head towards the river. Nathan and Jorl are awaiting my arrival, more likely impatiently. I can picture them throwing rocks at the water cursing my name. They had their meeting with Mrs. Flo an hour before mine.

It's a bitter sweet knowledge knowing in twenty-nine days, I'd probably never see my two best friends. It hurt even if I've known since I first met them this time would come.

We've had a standing bet since we were five. Who can reach the fifty foot bright orange buoy.

I'm in the lead as of last week and they can't wait to kick me down to second or third place once again. Typical boys, can't stand not being first. I roll my eyes at the thought of them calling me a cheater once more. All the while pouting.

Reaching the door, I'm nearly in the clear when Mrs. Flo puts her hand on my shoulder, stopping me mid-step.

"Miss. Smith we need to have a talk. Your parents will be here in a matter of minutes. Please do sit back down."

I glance at her with uncertainty. My parents are here? Never in all my years have I heard of a meeting where the parents are invited to it. It's not normal. Usually they aren't consulted because...well they have no power in the Match process.

"Mrs. Flo, I do not understand. What is transpiring?" Sitting back in my seat I feel a little anxiety sneak up and bite me. This can not be good.

Have I done something wrong or angered my Match? Racking my brain I come up with nothing. What would have cause this meeting?

Unless, he knows about the twins...

Seeing my mother worried and my father stone cold face only amplifies my anxiety. The silence vibrates around the room. Drawing fear deep into our hearts.

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I've called you here as a warning to keep an eye on your daughter." She gives my mother and father a pointed look.

Hey! I'm not a trouble maker!

"Why? Has she angered her Match?" My father demands, his wicked eyes stare me down. He is my mothers Match and her his pet. She was made perfectly for him. As I was for my Match.

"Yes, she frankly has. The two boys she hangs out with are now forbidden to be near her. She is to be kept away from all males until her Match arrives to claim her." Her high mighty attitude was sticking a nerves with me.

"Do you know the name of her Match?" My father Roka questions with steely eyes. Being the head honcho he demands respect out of all the breeders. It's a name me and the twins have given the aliens. They came to our land to breed with us. To create more of their kind.

His words somersaulted my insides. I never knew how deeply I would hate his question. With each passing second my pores open and ooze out sweat. The itching in my hand intensifies to the point I feel blood spill from the cracked skin.

Not a good way to start my day.

"Yes, I was informed this morning before all the meetings that Chrissy Smiths Match is Royalty," Mrs. Flo whispers with awe and wonder.

Father pounds the lab table with such pride and joy, I feared for it's four wobbly legs.

The tears in my mothers eyes were not of joy and happiness. No they were of fear and the horror that was surely to come.

Being Matched to a royal wasn't a thing anyone wanted. Royals literally had the power to bend you to their wills.

There was no such word as no in their dictionary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#1 How bad do you think royalty really is?

#2 Will she stay away from the twins?

#3 Will she try to escape her fate?