chapter seven - o children

I got out of the seat leaving Henry in the car, "Put your head down, okay?"

I said to Henry running around to the trunk, peering around the side of the car, I saw her approaching, she had a Glock tucked into the side of her pants.

Opening the trunk, I took out my spare gun and the bulletproof vest.

Kneeling beside the car I could see her getting closer through the side mirror.

I grabbed Henry out of the car, "I'm going to be honest with you Henry because I think you're smart, okay?"

he nodded "I want you to wear this" I said placing the vest over his head, it was way too big for him.

"I know its heavy, but is really important that you keep it on, can you put your hands over your ears for me?"

he looked confused "it's okay you're going to be fine, and if something happens to me, I want you to run and keep running till you see someone you recognise okay?"

I lifted his small hands to his ears and smiled.

Leaning around the side of the car, I fired one shot into the air in an attempt to disperse the people in the park.

People began to clear away, but I still couldn't get a clean shot at her.

Taking Henry in my arms and pulling him tightly into my chest I ran away from the car, and away from her.

Turning the corner, I ran down a high street, grabbing a scarf off a shop's display, wrapping it around Henry and tying it to myself to make a baby sling, securing it with a hairband.

The first gunshot rang through the air of the high street.

I ducked into an alleyway to try to get cover, but it was too late, I felt it pierce my lower back.

Ducking into an alley trying to ignore the pain ripping through me, I smiled at Henry, I could still feel the bullet in my back, so I knew Henry was okay.

I heard the second and third gunshot, by this point I had my hands tightly around Henry's ears.

In the far corner of the alleyway, there was a fire escape ladder, it was rusty and old.

It creaked as I climbed, clenching my teeth in agony, I could feel the blood streaming down my back, reaching the top, I could see her from the roof of the building.

Seeing the SUVs pulling up at the end of the high street I reached for my phone, groaning as I moved, I called Hotch.

"Hotch, I've got Henry he's okay, I'm on the top of the building, I think it's a bakery"

"We can see you" Hotch replied "I have her in my sights," I say as I aim my gun at her. "Do it," Hotch says.

I rested my finger on the trigger, I felt myself getting drowsy, squinting my eyes to focus my vision.

The sound ripped through the air; I saw her fall to the ground as the bullet pierced her lower leg.

Seeing the team run towards the bakery, I returned my focus to Henry, "Can you hear me Henry?"

"Yeah" he said "Okay that's good" I replied, placing my hand around his wrist to feel his pulse,

"Your Mom's coming now, okay?" I smiled through gritted teeth.

He nodded, I heard voices coming from the alley "Henry?" JJ shouted, "Esme?" I heard Spencer call.

"We're up here" I replied, the first to reach the top of the ladder was JJ. I stood up, running towards her, she had been crying,

I untied Henry and passed him gently to JJ. As I took off the scarf from my waist, I felt the blood pool down my back.

She held him tightly, grabbing my hand she pulled me into a hug. "thank you" she whispered, my vision started to blur as I felt myself collapse in JJs arms,

"Derek" I heard her should, I felt him grab me just before I hit the floor.