Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Aurora
I stared at the phone, unsure of my next moved. I couldn't believe I was even contemplating this but I was tired of this-this game. I was sick of feeling this hatred and sadness that pulsed through my body every minute of the day. And ever since my Heat it's gotten harder to ignore my urges. Taking a deep breath, I press call and wait. The phone rings for what seems like hours but only two rings had past.
"Hello?"
My voice was caught in my throat, my breath had left my lung and I was frozen.
"Hello?" His voice said, impatiently.
Clearing my throat, "Meet me at Sweets and Treats in an hour." I forced out.
"Sunshine? Is that you baby?" Lucian said, his tone quickly changing from the annoyed tone it had taken earlier.
I nodded before realizing he couldn't see me, "Yea. An hour, Luc." I said before hanging up. I dropped the phone to the floor, trying to think. I felt detached from my body. Unable to control my limbs anymore I fell to the floor on my hands and knees. My breathing was ragged, my chest felt as if it was being stabbed. I whimpered as the pain got worse, tears poured from my eyes as I kneel there.
"Lucian." I whisper before everything goes black.
******
Lucian
I sat at the table to Sweets and Treats waiting for Sunshine to come walking through the door. I rubbed my chest trying to get rid of the slight echo of pain pulsing through my body. It had been bothering me since I got off the phone with Aurora but I had just brushed it off as nerves. The feeling if distress nagged at the back of my mind but thinking I was over reacting I pushed the feeling away and looked around to distract myself. Little kids sat with their families laughing and eating every type of customized ice cream that could be made.
I look to the counter to see a small red haired girl; her little curls bouncing as she plasters her face to the glass of the display case. Smiling, I looked down at my hands remembering a time when Aurora was that little. This used to be our place; I would take her here every weekend to stuff ourselves full of ice cream and candy. Slowly I felt myself zone out of reality and sink deep into my memories.
"Kitty? Kitty, come on! You're so slow!" Aurora said, grabbing my hand. She pulled my hand, trying to drag me into the ice cream shop. "Kitty, he's gonna take our table! Hurry!"
Laughing, I followed behind quickly shaking my head, "Why don't you go pick out what you want and I'll set our things at the table?" Aurora quickly turned around a little pout on her face.
"But, Kitty, I want you to go with me." She said, not letting go of my hand.
"Okay, okay. Sheesh! Make up your mind already." I teased. We quickly made it to the counter and ordered.
"I want bubble gum flavor ice cream with M&M's, sprinkles, gummy worms, those little snow cap things and..." Aurora told the worker, her face scrunched up in concentration, "chocolate syrup."
I looked at her doubtfully, "Are you sure you don't want your usual?"
"No, I want this." She said with finality. Shrugging, I nodded to the worker before telling him our table number and paying. Aurora ran ahead, laughing as she just beat another family to the table. Shaking my head I scooted into the booth beside her.
"That wasn't very nice."
"But it's our table." She said frowning in confusion.
"But what if they liked this table too? Maybe they thought this table was as special as we did and you hurt their feelings?" I asked
"But-but I didn't mean to." She said, her bottom lip trembling as tears gathered in her eyes. I quickly wiped away her tears before standing up.
"Why don't we ask them to come eat with us?" I asked reaching out my hand for her small one. Eagerly, she placed her hand in mine and jumped down. She quickly pulled me toward the family still ordering at the counter.
"Excuse me. Hi, my name is Aurora. I wanted to say sorry for taking the table you were going to sit at. I would really like if you would sit with us." She said nervously shuffling her feet while peeking up at the stunned family.
The mother quickly squatted down and smiled at Aurora, "Of course we would." We were quickly introduced to everyone and seated at the table. Two hours later we were just leaving after eating five scoops of ice cream each. Even with the amount of sugar consumed Aurora was sleepy on the car ride back to her house.
"Kitty? You'll never leave me, right?"
"Only if you stop calling me kitty." I teased before looking over into Rora's big green eyes. "No, Rora, I'll never ever leave you."
"You promise."
"I promise." I said. "Hey I never asked but why do you call me kitty?"
"Duh, silly." She said giggling. "Cuz' you kitty is so pretty and it was either that or spots."
"Oh yea? Well, I'm going to come up with a nickname for you." I said smiling, "You are now to be called Sunshine."
"Why?" She asked puzzled.
"Cuz' you are my sunshine/ My only sunshine/ you make me happy when skies are grey/ You'll never know dear how much I love you/ I'll never let anyone take my Sunshine away." I sang.
"That's not the ending!" She said, giggling.
"I know."
******
Shaking my head, I look down at my watch. I had been waiting here an hour and she still hadn't shown up. What was she playing at? Worried I called back the number she had used to contact me. The phone rang for a while before going to voice mail. I quickly hung up . Something was wrong I could feel it.
I quickly drove to her house, probably going 20 mph over the speed limit. Without slowing down I whipped into her driveway before turning off the car and rushing to her door. I knocked a few time before searching for her hide-a-key.
"Aurora! Hold on baby, hold on." I said feeling my way around the bottom of her porch swing. I felt the cold metal of the key on my finger tips and quickly ripped it way. My hands were shaking so bad I couldn't get the key into the lock. Finally, the key slide home and I shoved the door open. Her scent was everywhere but I easily distinguished the most resent path. Running into the kitchen I found her lying on the floor.
"Aurora!" I shouted, kneeling down and placing her head on my lap. "Please, baby, please wake up." I shook her, panicking. Her breathing was weak as well, same as her heart beat. Out of the corner of my eye I see the phone. Quickly, I called 911. As I tried to give them the information they needed I felt a hand touch my arm.
Looking down I see Aurora smiling a weak smile at me, "Kitty, you're here." She said before her body seemed to deflate.
"Sunshine! Please, wake up. Please!"
"Sir, Sir! What's happening? Sir? Are you there?" The 911 operator said.
"She's- she's stopped breathing." I choked out before dropping the phone. I felt so helpless, the one time she needs me and I can't save her.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************