46

Amari

"Why are we here?" Hunter asks from the passenger seat.

"To look for proof, of course." I mumble parking the car outside of the house.

It was the first house Justin and I had bought together and the same one he had bought Jessica to on that drunken night. Lana may be all for me waiting around until something happens, but I couldn't do that. I couldn't sit in anticipation for the next few months, years probably, pretending to be okay with not knowing.

"I thought you were on bed rest." Hunter said looking over to me. "Is this really that important?"

"It is and I'm fine!" I shake my head taking my keys out of the ignition. "We'll only look around for a few minutes then we can go."

"Amari..." Hunter starts but I cut him off.

"Hunter, remember when you were 14 and needed help getting Tyler a new bike after you let his old one get run over? I used my entire first 2 paychecks to help you with that." I say.

"That was an expensive bike." He nods his head. "I babysat so many monsters..." I cut him off again.

"And in return, you said that whenever I needed you, you'd be there to help me with no questions asked. Remember that?" I ask.

"But that was only because I didn't want to pay you back, Amari." Hunter whines sliding down in his seat like a child. "Besides, Tyler never even rode that stupid bike. He ended up selling it literally a month later so the whole process was pointless."

"Doesn't matter. I helped you, now you have to help me." I shrug.

"But Amari, this is different. Under different circumstances, I would help you. You know that. But you're not supposed to be moving around or stressing yourself out too much." Hunter shakes his head grabbing onto my arm. "Justin told us not to let you do anything risky for the next few months."

I roll my eyes at the mention of Justin.

"So you'd rather I lay in bed all day rotting away and thinking up the worse nastiest scenarios of what could've happened in that house." I point to the house in front of us. "Thank you for being so considerate Hunter. I really appreciate it." I say sarcastically.

"Don't do that." Hunter shakes his head. "I've never left you hanging before so don't make it seem like I'm the bad guy here. I'm just looking out for you and your baby. Somebody has to if you and Justin won't."

We stared at each other for a moment and I could tell that he was dead serious. Hunter being serious was a foreign feeling. They weren't friends. I pout taking in a deep breath and nodding my head. Testing him wouldn't do anything but add to the already long list of people who hated me at the moment.

"Okay." I mumble. "I'll wait."

"Good. Now trade seats with me." He says grabbing the keys from my hand. "You obviously need a nap and I need to think."

I nod my head getting out of the car to trade seats with Hunter.

"How's the wedding planning going along?" I ask laying my seat back as I watch Hunter readjust the mirrors.