❛ 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ❜

Start from the beginning

"— two rolls of fucking parchment!" Marina shouted.

"Did you tell Professor Snape we haven't covered them yet?" Lupin asked, frowning slightly. The babble broke out again.

"Yes, but he said we were really behind —"

"— he wouldn't listen —"

"— two rolls of fucking parchment!"

Professor Lupin smiled at the look of indignation on every face.

"Don't worry. I'll speak to Professor Snape. You don't have to do the essay." Lupin said.

"Oh no," said Hermione, looking very disappointed. "I've already finished it!"

"That's too bad. Marina finished it already as well." Lavender added.

"What? At least I don't tell the whole damn world I finished it early." Marina told them.

The class had a very enjoyable lesson. Professor Lupin had brought along a glass box containing a Hinkypunk, a little one-legged creature who looked as though he were made of wisps of smoke, rather frail and harmless looking.

"Lures travelers into bogs," said Professor Lupin as they took notes. "You notice the lantern dangling from his hand? Hops ahead — people follow the light — then —"

The Hinkypunk made a horrible squelching noise against the glass.

When the bell rang, everyone gathered up their things and headed for the door.

"Wait a moment, Harry and Marina," Lupin called. "I'd like a word."

Marina groaned as she and Harry doubled back and watched Professor Lupin covering the Hinkypunk's box with a cloth.

"I heard about the match," said Lupin, turning back to his desk and starting to pile books into his briefcase, "and I'm sorry about your broomstick. Is there any chance of fixing it?"

"No," said Harry. "The tree smashed it to bits."

Lupin sighed.

"What does this have to do with me?" mumbled Marina.

"And how's your arm Miss.Weasley?" Lupin asked.

"Medicore. It's still broken." Marina told him, referring to her arm cast.

"They planted the Whomping Willow the same year that I arrived at Hogwarts. People used to play a game, trying to get near enough to touch the trunk. In the end, a boy called Davey Gudgeon nearly lost an eye, and we were forbidden to go near it. No broomstick would have a chance."

"Did you hear about the Dementors too?" said Harry with difficulty. Lupin looked at him quickly.

"Yes, I did. I don't think any of us have seen Professor Dumbledore that angry. They have been growing restless for some time... furious at his refusal to let them inside the grounds... I suppose they were the reason you fell?"

"Yes," said Harry.

"And I assume the bludger made you fall, but also the dementors Miss.Weasley?" questioned Lupin.

"There was no dementors near me when I got hit." Marina said.

"There was RiRi, a dementor was behind you when the bludger hit you." Harry told her.

Marina shivered. She remembered her mother's scream again.

Harry sighed. "Why? Why do they affect me like that? Am I just —?"

"It has nothing to do with weakness, for either of you," said Professor Lupin sharply, as though he had read their minds. "The Dementors affect you both worse than the others because there are horrors in your past that the others don't have."