» 156 «

It was dark, rainy and gloomy outside of the castle. The atmosphere surely matching how we all felt.

And it was all because of him.

A sick, pleased expression on his face as he and his army approached Hogwarts once again. This time without their wands drawn.

Though, my attention was hardly on Voldemort. But, instead, on Hagrid and the body he was clutching against his chest; limp and lifeless in his arms.

I knew it was Harry. I knew it was, and yet, hearing him say it out loud, confirming it, was too much.

"Harry Potter... is dead!"

"No!" I cried out, pulling my wand out and throwing whatever curse I could first think of. Though, the motion didn't even faze him as he blocked it. And before I had the chance to do it again, Draco placed a hand on my shoulder to hold me back.

When Voldemort realised it was me who sent it, a sick smile formed on his deformed face, and I could feel a shiver run down my spine before he spoke, eyes entirely on me.

"I told you so, Y/n Potter. Don't you remember?" He said, and I swallowed heavily as I remembered his words in the manor that day.

"Once your whole world crumbles in front of you, you will remember this moment and wish you took the chance you were just given. But it'll be too late then, Y/n Potter."

My breath picked up at the memory, and tears pricked in my eyes as a result of remembering it. Was he saying I could've prevented this?

The courtyard quickly filled up, everyone who had survived the battle accumulating in it as Voldemort addressed them.

"Harry Potter is dead," He repeated, and I felt that burning desire to curse him once again. As my gaze trailed around the crowd, they caught Neville's, though, and I decided I'd live by what I had told him that day.

All Voldemort wanted was a reaction. So, I simply wouldn't give it to him.

"From this day forth, you put your faith in me." He turned around to face his own followers, raising his hands in celebration as he practically cheered, "Harry Potter is dead!"

They all laughed. And I felt it again.

"Now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us, or die."

It was silent. Completely silent with nothing but the rustling of the wind in the trees before Wren's voice broke that silence.

"Fuck off," She hissed, though Luna quickly put an arm on her shoulder in hopes it would keep her from making another decision as stupid as this one.

Though, before Voldemort had the chance to say anything, Lucius Malfoy broke the silences with the words I had feared the most.

"Draco!" He shouted across the field, desperation in his voice as he called for his son to join them. He repeated his name once more, this time merely a whisper as a pleading look spread across his face.

Draco's body went rigid as everyone's eyes fell on him and, therefore, on me by default.

"Draco, come," His mother said softly, Lucius holding his hand out to him. And it was then that I felt Draco's eyes on me before I turned my head to look up at him.

I didn't want him to see the tears in my eyes at first, but maybe it was just what he needed to see to make the right decision.

"Draco, please," I whispered, searching for his hand with mine and squeezing it tightly as soon as I found it. "Don't do this."