Chapter 23

Kaida crept out of the Palace.

She took that same route, through the Queen's garden, waiting for the guard shift change.

And then out of the small portal door she learnt how to finesse open, thanks to Cal.

They snuck out on a few occasions, whenever he had the time, which was rare, but they always had a lot of fun on those nights.

It was freezing outside, a stark contrast to the warm Autumn sun that greeted Kaida when she arrived in Archeon all those months ago.

She found her way to the Stilts, largely using her memory and following the signs.

Although, Kaida was stopped a few times by the patrols, asking probing questions.

She thought quickly.

Her name was Katerina Barrow, 20 years old, and she was running to put money on her family's electricity bill as their light had just cut out.

The lie came so effortlessly and Kaida surprised herself.

Eventually, she made it to the wooden boardwalks and out of the central city.

She passed the pier her and Cal first met at, Kaida paused looking down at it.

A memory of their silhouettes in the moonlight flashed into her mind.

Kaida then found herself looking up at the swinging sign of 'the Rose' - a crimson stained glass flower on top of gothic writing.

Kaida pushed the door open, lowering her hood.

Her eyes had to adjust to the low light as she surveyed the bar. There were a few stragglers, drinking their sorrows away, but no Elias.

She checked her watch, 1opm, she was right on time.

Kaida manoeuvred to a corner booth, tucked away into the furthest corner of the tavern, it faced the door, so she could see the next person to enter.

The barkeeper came to take her order, personally.

He was curious about such a guest at this time of the night.

After a bit of deliberation, Kaida decided on the Rose's best strawberry and lime ale.

She smiled kindly at the stranger, offering her thanks.

"Waiting on anyone special?"

He asked, lingering.

Right on cue, Elias burst in and the barkeeper nodded and retreated.

Kaida stood as he approached.

She was torn between a hug and handshake, but he made the decision for them both, wrapping her in a quick but tight hug.

His chin rested momentarily on top of her head.

He took a seat immediately after, pulling off his gloves. Kaida took her place opposite him.

They stared at each other for a moment, in the low light.

The last time they had met did not even seem real. Elias had caught her by surprise, and he had acted spontaneously.

It was a very busy night for him, and he wasn't himself, he was too focused then.

He ran a hand across his close cropped black waves, smoothing them out, and took a deep breath.

Kaida began first, beating him to it.

"You are part of the Scarlet Guard. You were involved in the attack at the Palace."