Chapter 42:Father

Tanjiro's POV
    Basking in the growing warmth of the morning sun dowsing the area in syrupy light, I'm patiently sitting on the front porch of the butterfly estate, lightly tapping my finger on my thigh. When I woke up this morning, I found myself alone in (y,n)'s room. It wasn't too much of a surprise when seeing my arms were scarce of the girl, especially since I know the finish of her trial is today.

    Even though I'm hopeful of what master Ubuyashiki will decide, I can't conceal the obvious fact I'm concerned about (y,n). This job really means a lot to her, and today will be a sorrowful moment for the both of us if she loses that very profession.

    I combed my hand back through my burgundy locks, drawing out a low yawn that's been fizzling up in my chest. "Please be ok (y,n)..." I mumbled beneath the shadow of my breath, closing my eyes with a sigh as I threw my head back.

    Last night's events faintly painted masterpieces in my mind as the wind traced a thin line past my ear, bringing me back to the wonderful evening. Even if it was shaky at the start, I can say that the previous night was far from forgettable. I can vividly recall it now, the ghosting memory of (y,n) cradled in my strong hold under the blanket we were using, letting me smooth down her ponytail as I whispered sweet nothings next to her ear. Even if we attempted to be modest, somewhere in the night; our legs got tangled together, and that only brought her ever so close to my chest, allowing me to feel the soft way her bosom rose, and fell with the rhythm of the words that sung out from her mouth in their own tired melody.

    It'll be an eternity before began to forget that moment, that night, the evening that would bound us together by nothing more than a red string tied to our pinkie fingers. 

    I opened my eyes, looking towards the path that trails up to Shinobu's property. My heart did a miniature flip on the inside when seeing just who I've been waiting for the entire time, slowly walking up to the butterfly mansion. (y,n) lifted her gaze up to me as she got closer, gifting me a shaky smile as tears lazily ran down her flushed cheeks. Why is she crying? Wait... could this be... did she actually have to retire as a slayer?!

    Please, let it be anything but that!

    I hopped onto my feet and rushed over to the (h,c)-headed warrior, taking her hands into mine.

    "(y,n), what happened?! What did Master Ubuyashiki say?" I asked, while cupping my other hand on her cheek. I wiped away the warm tears with my thumb, looking into her eyes pleadingly. I'm shocked when (y,n) lets out a pleasant laugh, resting her hand on my shoulder as her tears glistened against her (s,c) skin..

    "I get to keep my job as a demon slayer!" My squad-member smiled joyfully as she fluidly drew out her words, making my eyes widen as I processed her statement in my mind.

    "Really?!" I returned the joyous smile as tears burned at the waters of my eyes from immense happiness, and I blinked them away when (y,n) gave an ecstatic nod for an answer.

    "Thank goodness!!" I kissed her forehead in relief before pulling her into a loving hug, nuzzling my chin into the crook of her neck as she released quiet laughs against my shoulder. We don't have to worry anymore, there's no need to fret about the terrible thought of her losing her job!!

    This is a dream come true!

    "Heh... thank goodness..." I repeated my words in a softer tone, sighing happily while I closed my eyes. My heart is running absolutely wild right now, and it's becoming almost impossible to contain my gleeful emotions. (y,n)'s going to be able to continue fighting alongside my sister and our friends, and... she'll be able to stay here with me for as long as time will tell.