Part 22: In the Darkness

Stars snuck out of the dark clouds, insects and birds sang in the darkness. It was so dark in the cave that even the bones were a dark grey. My muscles were tense, one of the wolves seemed have been staring at us all day.

"You." His voice startled all of us, his muzzle seemed to be pointing towards me.

"...yes?" My voice echoed softly through the cave.

"Come closer."

I took a few steps closer to him, but not too close. I looked towards my pack and Sage was walking with me. The wolf's eyes meet Sage's. "Just the young she-wolf." I was careful with every step I took, the grey wolf stood watching me, unblinking looking straight into my eyes. I looked away for a few seconds, not even Sage and I had stare down like this. "Look at me," he said. And we continued to stare at each other.

The other wolf watched the outside of the cave. "Well?" She said, not looking at either of us. He brought his eyes so close to mine our noses almost touched.

I wanted to back away from him, but something told me stay where I was. "Get the rest of your pack," he said. "Come with us and tell your pack to be as quiet as possible."

"Why should we trust you?"

"Does it look like you have many options right now?"

Within a few minutes we started to follow the grey wolf, the she-wolf walked behind us. I looked at Sage, and then at my own paws, we still weren't as big as the other wolves, but we had Bandit and Mother with us. Should we fight them and hope for the best? The she-wolf seemed to have sensed my thoughts and came shoulder to shoulder with me as we walked the rough terrain. We seemed to be leaving the same way we came. "We're here to help you," she barked softly. "We're taking you to see Night." I almost stopped in my tracks.

Sage seemed to have overheard. "I thought that was just a pups tale."

The she-wolf shook her head. "No she's still alive."

"Well," Sage, "as long as it doesn't kill us."

Little white spots started to fill the sky. On hit my nose and I sneezed. "What is this stuff?" It started to cling to our pelts, the flakes sparkled on Mother's glossy pelt.

I watched the flakes move on her muzzle, "snow," she said.

We were now walking in I film at territory, but my senses told me my birthplace was east of us. The snow started to hit harder and harder, until we eventually all lined up as we walked. "Should we stop?!" The she-wolf called from behind us.

"No keep going," I could barely hear Sharp's voice in front of me. My ears going back to keep the snow out my ears. Soon are backs were covered with it. The flakes that had only filled my mind with wonder not that long ago were now a force to be wreckebed with. Within an hour or so the snow covered my paws, every step was a fight with this cold white sand like perceptation. I imagined walking through water being easier. I stumbled, the world around me nothing but white. I could barely smell Bandit next to me, grabbing my scruff to help me back up. I didn't know if the others were with us anymore. But when Bandit shoved me forward, my face hit Sage's rump.

The storm felt like it would last forever, my paws hurt. The snow weighed down on my back. Then, it was gone. I shook as my snow off of my pelt as possible. Some of stubbornly sticking to my stomach and back. The ground here was different, black and solid, going up and down with every paw step. Everyone had made it, the snow holding its whiteness as it fell off our pelts and onto the ground.

Then another wolf approached us in the darkness, I couldn't even see tge outline of the wolf, but I could smell.

"Good, you were able to make it."