Letter 37 - 'So what was it you had to tell me?'

12th August - DXB – hotel

 Dear Eve

By the time we got to Dubai I was just about on my knees and my throat was sore. Probably the result of a juicy little bug I’d picked up from the air conditioning. With his antics JJ had just about scuppered any hope of me bonding with Paula and Kim. I had tried to be friendly, offering to help Kim clear the cabin of rubbish when Paula was obviously busy with getting her paperwork finished before landing, but nothing seemed to crack the hostile exterior of the two witches as I had so endearingly named them. So when JJ offered his hotel room for the crew party I decided to leave them to it. The words ‘party’ and ‘pooper’ sprung to mind but I didn’t care.

I found my room which was next to Paula’s and the last thing I heard before my head hit the pillow was her giggling to Kim outside my door that she was going to hit on JJ whether I was there or not.

The next morning after breakfast we arranged to meet up and catch a boat over the Creek to the gold Souq to do some shopping. It was a hot and sunny day or at least it looked hot, but it was difficult to tell in the air conditioned world of the hotel. The moment I stepped out of the massive, sliding glass doors I gasped. I felt as though I’d just been placed in a roasting oven and turned up to full heat to be cooked. Unattractively, I felt sweaty even though I’d just rolled on deodorant. I was relieved to see that Paula was looking as red and shiny as me.

As we made our way onto the shallow, open water taxi I found a place on the bench seat that ran down the centre next to JJ. With my feet hovering just above the water, there was no rail or side of the boat to stop me falling in. I turned to face the direction we were going in and relish in the warm caressing breeze that fanned my body. JJ was pointing out to us the collection of dhows unloading their cargo onto the opposite quayside against the sky scraper backdrop. I felt someone sit down next to me so closely I felt his thigh press up against mine.

‘You smell good enough to eat,’ I heard waft along in the breeze close to my ear. I turned my head quickly as I felt fingers squeeze my leg.

‘Ed!’ I squeaked unable to hide my surprise. I took his hand firmly and placed it back on his own thigh. ‘What the hell are you doing here?’

‘Hi Suzi,’ he laughed leaning so close to kiss my cheek I could smell the faint lemony scent of his aftershave. ‘Lovely to see you too.’

‘But really,’ I continued determined not to be put off by his close proximity. ‘What are you doing here?’

‘I’m catching the boat over to the Souq, just like you,’ he annoyingly replied.

‘No. I don’t mean now.  I didn’t even know you were in this part of the world. Where are you going to next?’ I insisted.

‘Hong Kong.’

‘You’re not! I’m going to Hong Kong.’

‘I am!’ he said mocking my voice. ‘Looks like I might be flying you there then, my girl.’

My previous encounters with Candy came rushing into my mind and I frowned. How should I broach that subject without making me sound like a real bitch?

‘Surely, it’s not that bad. I assure you I can fly the thing you know.’ Ed said seeing my frown and mistaking the reason for it.

‘No. It’s not that,’ I replied biting my lip in hesitation. ‘I’ve got something to tell you, but now’s not the time.’ Ed raised an eyebrow and was about to say something else when JJ piped up.

‘So Suz, I’m not the only man in your life then.’ He held out his hand to Ed.

‘Sorry. JJ, this is Ed.’ The two men leant across me and shook hands.