episode㊵

"You have work."

"It's the weekend dad and I have this week off."

"You don't even celebrate Christmas."

Hoseok's dad is sitting at the kitchen table flicking at his cereal with a scowl while Hoseok attempts to tidy up the literal shit hole he lives in.

"Yeah, well, who's fault is that..." He shuffles around collecting laundry for several minutes in total silence before finally returning to the kitchen. He starts on some dishes while he asks as casually as he can, "What are your plans for this week?"

His dad drops his mug a little too harshly on the table and clears his throat gruffly. "Nothing. You should stop asking."

Hoseok purses his lips and moves to drying the dishes. "You should call Dawon."

"Why? She's done nothing for me."

Hoseok tries desperately to maintain his composure. "She does more than any of us Dad and you should appreciate her efforts."

The man snorts and pushes off his chair so he can disappear into the single bedroom that occupies the only other room in the apartment. "She's not my daughter, I owe her nothing."

His son stands in the kitchen silently watching him for several minutes before turning to gaze painfully out the window. He knows that he can't change his father but he can't give up either. No matter how much of his life is drained away.

Hoseok wipes his brow, washes his hands clean and gathers his things.

"I'll call you later Dad, don't-" He lets the sigh he's been reigning in all morning and it racks his whole body. "Just, try to get out, okay?"

He's answered with silence and eventually gives up, letting the door close behind him with a quiet 'click'.

On the ride home, he gets a call.

"Have you been to see him?"

Hoseok chuckles bitterly. "Just left actually."

"And?"

"He's doing okay, I think. Cold as ever but I think that's a good sign."

There's a pause on the other side of the phone and the woman mutters a relieved, "That's a relief."

They're both quiet for another moment until she speaks up again. "I'm sorry you had to hear about it from me. I know I'm not your favorite person."

Hoseok clenches his fist softly and shakes his head even though she can't see. "I'm glad it was you. And I don't... I don't hold anything against you Dawon. It's not your fault."

He swallows tensely a look of determination etching its way onto his face. "I promise you... One day I'll repay you for everything you've done."

She laughs half-heartedly on the other side of the phone. "I would never ask that of you, Hoseok. Your father," she takes a breath and it causes tears to prick at Hoseok's eyes, "being alive... is enough of a payment."

It takes everything in him not to collapse into sobs right then and there so he takes a moment to gather himself before whispering urgently, "Yeah, okay. I should go."

She agrees and he ends the call with a heavy: "Thank you."

He lets the bus carry him back to the café with a new weight bearing down on his shoulders he can only hope he'll be strong enough to carry.

+ + +