I Enjoy Throwing Knives at Pictures of People I Don't Like

Dear Louis,

I'm 18. This is 2015. Don't hate me when I say today I learned about One Direction. I've never heard about you before this.

My teacher told us we had to write to an idol or someone significant in our lives. I would've written to my dad, but he's no longer with us.

So I'm writing to you. Don't worry, I'm not going to fan girl on you. I barely know you. But it would be really cool if you'd write back soon.

And I'm sorry if I sounded arrogant or snooty. I'm new to this whole friend thing.

With love,

Piper

Louis read the letter seven times before he moved.

The first time he thought, What a little...

The second time he thought, I wonder if she enclosed a picture because I enjoy throwing knives at pictures of people I don't like.

The third time, She's got a big mouth.

The fourth, She's seriously never heard of us?

The fifth, She's a good writer, her words are beautiful.

The sixth, Did she really not enclose a photo? I want to see what she looks like.

And the seventh time, he decided to write back.

Louis' hand wrote shakily. He'd forgotten the feeling of writing. He hadn't written much since his fame and had forgotten the basic structure of most of the letters except, L,O,U,I, and S.

But, he managed to pen down a letter. He folded it and sealed it in an envelope.

He started to stand when his door swung open. Harry turned to look at him. He glanced at the letter.

"Louis, what are you doing?" Harry asked.

"Uh, nothing?"

"Is that ... fan mail?" Harry asked.

"Wha... no!"

Louis laughed nervously.

Harry raised his eyebrows.

"Okay, fine! This girl ... she's so cool. She only heard of us a little while ago. And its not fan mail. She needs it for school," Louis blurted.

Harry crossed his arms. "If you answer her mail, you might as well everyone's. Real fans. Don't go around playing favorites. Its silly." And with that, Harry stomped out of the room.

Harry basically told Louis he couldn't answer anymore mail from Piper. Too bad Louis asked her to write back.

~~~~

Piper

I unlocked the door and stepped inside. "I'm home!" I called as I locked the door behind me. Harper peeked her head out.

"Hey, Pipes! How was school?" She asked.

"Where's Mom?"

"Nice to see you too."

I pushed past my sister into the family room. Mom was snuggled up in some blankets and watching Disney Channel. I smiled and kicked off my shoes. I tiptoed towards her in my sock feet and snuggled up next to her. She smiled and gently stroked my hair.

"Hi, Sweetheart,"

"Hi Mama." I kissed her cheek. "Watching Jessie again?"

"Yes," She laughed. "Even though their parents aren't always there, they seem to be one big happy family."

"Mom, we are a big, happy family." Harper said, sitting down in the reclining chair. "You, me. James, Piper, Gran, Gramps. We love each other and are all here for each other."

Mom shrugged. She was a lot like me in the way she hated when people bothered her when she was upset. Harper was just too nice. She always wanted to help. Especially now. I guess she felt as if Mom and I couldn't take care of ourselves.

"Harper..." I warned. Harper sighed and stood up.

"Well, I'm going to make dinner. What about some nice, home-cooked chicken? We haven't done that in a while!" Harper asked.

We say nothing

"Fine." Harper rolled her eyes. "I just make some chicken." She had just turned when the front door opened and we heard James' voice saying, "I got KFC!"

Harper groaned and went to meet him. When she was out of earshot, Mom and I burst in laughter.

We sat there for a while, laughing and watching TV. After a while I asked her, "Hey, Mom. Where's Gran and Gramps?"

"They went back to the farm." She said quietly.

"What?!" I screamed, standing up.

"Sweetie, there was trouble at the farm so they had to run back. But everything will be okay." She said.

"What about us? You and me? Will we be okay?" I asked.

Mom stared ahead at the TV.

I stomped upstairs into me room. I sat down at my desk and started up my laptop. I fished out Skittles from my desk drawer and dumped a ton in my mouth.

I opened up my email.

Inbox (1)

I bit my lip and opened up the email.

From: halliebae@quikmail.com
To: piper.mcadams@quikmail.com

Hey Piper,

Hope it's okay if I email you. Just sent my letter to Harry. I know you're a really good English student and just a mellow person in general, so I was wondering if you could check and see if my letter isn't too fangirlish. I'll bring a copy of it tomorrow, I just wanna make sure it's not too weird.

Thanks,
Hallie

I smiled and quickly tapped and email back, telling her I'd be glad to help her.

I wondered about Louis. Would he read my letter?

I opened up Google and typed in his name in the search box.

I got tons of links to recent news, events, releases, shows, and all kinds of content about Louis and One Direction. I opened a random one.

Did Louis and Eleanor Break Up?

Interesting.

I read the article, learning of Louis and a breakup with his girlfriend. Well, he's single.

Why does that make me happy?

WHY AM I HAPPY?!?!?

I observed a picture of Louis and Eleanor. They looked so cute together.

WHY DOES THAT MAKE ME MAD?!?! I'M PRETTY SURE I HAVE A CRUSH ON SOMEONE ELSE!!!

I closed the page and leaned back in my chair.

I sat there in my chair staring at my computer screen for 23 minutes, when Harper knocked on my door and called me down for dinner.

All I thought as I walked down was, "I do not have a crush on Louis Tomlinson. I do not."