Earning Demi - Chapter 1

Earning Demi

CHAPTER ONE

DEMI

The light rap of my pen making contact with my notepad eases my mind, as I glare down at my textbook. AP Biology is my least favorite class. The labs are fun, but the homework sucks. At the beginning of the year, I thought about asking a counselor for a transfer into Chemistry instead, but my friends and I all share this class, and it's not like I have an issue finding the time to do the work. Just the opposite, really. I have nothing but time, especially since my father decided to extend his trip again.

With five minutes until the warning bell, I quickly skim through the rest of our chapter assignment, when I suddenly remember we're in lab today. I close my book and pull out my copy of our class syllabus, flipping to today's lab. How forming a hypothesis on the surface tension of water requires a week's worth of labs I'll never understand, but I'm not going to complain. Less work means more time with my friends.

"You're still coming to my game on Friday, right, D?" My friend Tyler calls from his desk. I turn around and flash him a look like "seriously," as he rears his hand behind his head and tosses his football across the room again. It soars over our classmate's heads and perfectly into Trevor's arms.

"Hell, yes!" Trevor clasps the ball between his palms, then tosses it over to Jase.

I open my mouth, ready to answer Tyler when Maddison Blakely enters the room. "Of course we're coming!" she yells. She fixes her eyes on Tyler, before setting her Michael Khors, custom-designed tote, and binder down on the top of the desk we share.

"Hey, Mads." I smile up at my friend.

Maddison shoots me a wink, brushing her long, auburn hair behind her shoulders, and then pulls out her chair. The fruity scent that she's wearing immediately seizes my airways and makes my head ache. It's almost as strong as the all too enthusiastic tone she adopts whenever she's around Ty.

Mads whips her attention back to the boys, who have all stopped tossing the ball while they wait for her to continue, because knowing Maddison, there's always more.

"How could you ever think that we'd miss the chance to see you crush Caddo Mills, Ty?"

Her tone jumps an octave or two, as she twists her lips into a tight pout. Rolling my eyes, I turn around and face my desk. It's too early to handle her level of pep right now. I get enough of it watching her twirl around on the football field during the boy's games—the other place she likes to flaunt her perkiness, hoping Ty will finally notice her.

"Yeah, Ty. How could you ever think that?"

I press my lips together and roll them over my teeth. Jase is going to regret mocking Tyler like that. So much for studying, I think to myself, as I mumble a quiet, "Here we go."