Chosen - chapter thirty-one

Start from the beginning

"I may be your watcher, but I am still a lady who enjoys fine clothing. As should you." She sighed heavily and shook her head, taking the gown from me.

"I'm more worried about retrieving Belle and protecting my king."

"You can do those things and be a proper lady," she said, arching her brows at me.

"I'm not as of a multi-tasker as you, my friend."

"Perhaps not." She shook her head and hung the gown "That is a shame."

I closed my eyes, trying to appreciate the rocking ship which was hard to do. The only thing that managed to happen was the rocking of my stomach.

***

"Lady Joselyn?" a distant voice called to me.

"Hmm?"

"Lady Joselyn!" the voice was more urgent as it shouted my name.

"What on earth do you want?" I shouted back, my eyes still closed.

"We're at Calais."

My eyes shot open and I sat up. "Already?"

"You slept the entire voyage," Angeline replied.

"I did?"

"Yes. Would you care to get dressed?" she asked.

"I suppose it would be the decent thing to do. I don't want to offend any of the men's delicate senses by appearing in my undergarments."

Angeline covered her mouth, stifling a laugh.

I held out my hand for the skirt and pulled it on. I hated how heavy the material felt on my aching hips.

"I wonder how long we'll be here."

"The king said not for too long. He wants to visit King Francis in Fontainebleau as soon as possible"

"Is that where Francis is in residence?" I asked.

"Yes. He seems to favor that castle now."

I opened the door of the stateroom and headed back to the deck. The salty air blew across the deck and enveloped me like a new lover. It seemed into every part of my being. Thankfully Angeline reinforced my hair prior to leaving.

"Welcome back, Lady Joselyn," the old man bellowed from the helm.

"Thank you, captain. I do apologize for remaining below deck the entire trip."

"Quite alright, Madame. Not everyone is cut out for sea life." His smile spread from ear to ear.

"I am not one of those people for sure."

"That is most unfortunate, lady. I do hope the rest of your trip is uneventful." He tipped his hat to us as we disembarked the ship.

I hope so as well.

"Do you think anything will happen before we arrive in Constantinople?" Angeline asked.

"I have no doubt about it. Highway robbers, other assassins, and other dangers will be in our way and we will be out for quite some time."

"Ladies, would you like to set out now? Or find somewhere to have lunch first?" Cassius asked.

"I suppose a decent meal would be nice before our long trek to Fontainebleau."

"Fantastic. The Baron John Bourchier lives here. I'm sure he won't mind a few visitors for the evening." Cassius clapped his hands together, leading us to a carriage that waited.