Meet Cute

Studying the bill in his hands, Gregory could feel a headache formed in his head. The week could not have better starts than this. No income with hefty student loans on his shoulder. Gregory has nowhere to go but finding a job. A job that pays well and has reasonable hours. It is almost easier to rob a bank and get away with it. 

While it is still early in the morning, Gregory decided to take a run instead. As much as the warmth of his bed is tempting, running is a better stress release. Not as good as getting laid. But as a broke engineering student, drowning in his papers, sex doesn’t come easy or instant. Yeah, Gregory left hand is much properly acquainted with his private matters.

Running shoes ready and his earphone already on his ear bud, Gregory is out of his apartment in instant. The city in the morning is the reason why Gregory decided to live on his own. It feels like he has his life in his hands, making up his future as he goes. A life with all the decisions of his own.

After running a few blocks around the neighborhood, he could feel his stomach rumbling. Maybe he should buy some groceries before cooking his breakfast. Maybe some French toast or he could cook a hearty English breakfast all for him. Unless his annoying roommate already woke up and eat all his cooking already.

As he making his way to the grocer, he notices the neighborhood he’s in.

A man leaning on a black Lamborghini, with his fancy shirtsleeves rolled to his elbow and five o’ clock shadow on his face. What is a man doing in six in the morning leaning on a very expensive car looking bored? .In this kind of neighborhood? , Is he trying to get himself mugged?. 

Should he warn him or something? . That would be the right thing to do, right? . Before Gregory can make up his mind about the man. He turned his head to Gregory, looking straight at him. Feeling like a deer caught in the headlights. Gregory stands still, fumbling with his running shorts pocket.

“Sir, could you come over here for a minute, please?”  . Gregory cannot believe his hearing, is this stranger just told him to come over? . Surely that would be the firsts in the city. “ Trust me, I won’t bite. Come on, hurry up”. The man, still leaning on the car door, looking like a million dollar, doesn’t even bother stands up straight.

Decided that this man could not be more dangerous than some drunk investment banker or some sort, Gregory comes on over to him. The man is taller than Gregory, even not standing up straight. His shirt is rumpled and his eyes have dark circles underneath them. Still he wears the unkempt look rather well. “I am trying to buy myself a cup of coffee but unfortunately my wallet is locked inside my car. Could you by any chance lending me some money?”.  For a second, Gregory just looked at the man in front of him.

“Are you serious?” Gregory tries his hardest not to look too surprised by the man request. “Yeah, I can’t stand Starbucks though. Maybe you know some good café with original brew or some sort?” He put his hand in his pocket and offers Gregory a shrug. “What? I don’t go to cafes, sorry. Are you trying to jack the car? “ Now, the man just throws him an irritated scowl. “What jacking? . Can you just point me to the nearest good café and lend me some money to buy myself a latte? “.

Yeah, it is definitely the right time for Gregory to turn away his heels and back up from this absolutely bonkers man.

Just as he starts to turn his back, the man let out a muffled curse and went down. Literally, the man collapses right in front of Gregory eyes. He slumps rather ungraceful on the pavement with his back leans on the car door. Gregory stares at what happened In front of him, very much confused at the event. The right decision is to call 911 but of course, Gregory only brings his ipod. The block is still empty and quite knowing that it’s still so early in the morning and quite secluded corner.

Great, no one is there to help, biting his lips in concern, Gregory move to the man stead and kneel down next to him. The man here probably would have his phone right in his pockets, right?. But groping the said man on his pants nonetheless will bring suspicion. People will think he’s trying to rob him for God’s sake. Could he just carry him back to his flat?. The man couldn’t weigh more than he could handle. And holding an unconscious man in his arms will only lead no more than a man helping out his friend’s drunk passing out.

A voice of reason appears in his mind. Why would he help him anyway? . The man is rude and a stranger, for all he know he could be a criminal. Especially, judging by his ‘my wallet is locked inside my car story’. But, it would be ruder of Gregory not to help out this man, besides Ian is a police officer. Surely his roommate will protect him from any wrongdoings.

The question now is, does Gregory have the strength to carry this unfortunate man back to his flat? .