0.4

Gordie yelled and kept sprinting towards the fence.

"C'mon man! You can make it!" Chris yelled. Gordie made it to the fence and climbed over faster than the speed of light. A small, mangy mutt of a dog ran up to the fence, barking and growling.

"That's Chopper?" Gordie asked breathlessly.

"Kiss my ass Choppie! Bite shit!" Teddy yelled, shaking his butt at the dog, making us all crack up.

"Hey! Stop teasin my dog!" Milo Pressman yelled, and ran over.

"Stop it, you tin weasel, peckerwood loony's son!" Milo yelled at Teddy. We all grew silent. I knew never to speak ill of Teddy's father, he would go mad.

"What did you call me?" Teddy asked quietly.

"You heard me, I know you. Teddy Duchamp, the loony's son," Milo sneered.

"My father stormed the beach at Normandy," Teddy muttered.

"Yeah? Well he's a loony now!" Milo taunted. I grabbed Teddy's arm, knowing this was going to end badly.

"I'll rip off your head and shit down your neck!" Teddy screamed, launching himself at the fence.

"Let's get him outta here!" I yelled, tugging on Teddy. Chris, Gordie, and I pried him off the fence and started to drag him away. As soon as we were far enough away from the junkyard, Teddy broke down into tears.

"He ranked my old man," he sobbed, pulling off his glasses and wiping his eyes. The guys tried to cheer him up, while I just stood awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

"Teddy...it's alright, he still stormed the beach at Normandy, no matter what that fatass says," Chris said, clapping him on the back.

"Just forget it," Teddy muttered.

"Yeah! Don't even think about what that stupid ass said!" Vern chimed in.

"I said forget it!" Teddy yelled. We walked on silently, only hearing the scraping of our shoes against the gravel on the tracks. Teddy hung back, and I went to join him.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked quietly, nudging his shoulder.

"I'm fine, I can't believe I'm spoiling everyone's good time," he said glumly.

"Why should it be a good time? We're going to see a dead kid after all," Gordie said, turning around.

"True," Teddy said, seeming to get a little more skip in his step again.

We soon reached the bridge, and all of us hesitated to cross.

"We could go around," Gordie said.

"Why the hell would I do that? While you guys are dragging your candy asses half way across the state, I'll be on the other side, relaxing with my thought," Teddy said, and Chris and Gordie snickered.

"You do that with your right hand or your left?" Gordie asked, and we all broke out laughing. Teddy went a bit red, and gave him a punch to the shoulder.

"Well, who's going first?" Chris asked, looking at all of us.

"I dare Van to go first," Gordie said, and I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"To hell with that! Only if you two pussies follow right after!" I said to Chris and Teddy.

I stepped onto the tracks, and carefully started to make my way across. Teddy and Chris followed immediately after. After what seemed like am eternity of walking, I felt a strange vibration underfoot.

"TRAAIN!" Gordie screamed, and I turned back to see black smoke pluming out of the smokestack of the train. I ran across the remaining tracks, nearly falling over a few times before making it to the other side. Teddy and Chris joined me, and we looked back to see Vern struggling and Gordie trying to help him along.

"C'mon! You can make it!"

"Run! C'mon dammit!" We screamed at the top of our lungs, the train inching nearer each second. It was only about a foot away from them when Gordie pushed the both of them off the tracks. As soon as the train passed, we raced to the other edge of the tracks, and saw Gordie and Vern in tangled heap, moaning and groaning.

"At least we know when the train is due," Teddy said, grinning at me.