-f i v e-

BLAKE

     "Hi," says Blake with a playful smile. "Is there a problem?" Spencer walks over to him with a murderous glare.

"That's my seat."

"That's weird, there aren't assigned seats," Blake replies, looking at him with playful innocence and curiosity.

"I always sit there. Who told you I sit here?" Spencer glares accusations around the class with his hands on Blake's desk. "Get up."

"Nah. It's a nice desk, and there aren't assigned seats, right?" Blake cracks a small smile at Spencer's absolute hate for him in this moment.

"Really, Blake?" Spencer rolls his eyes and scowls at him, then turns to the kid sitting to his right. There was no one to his left as he was the last person in the back row of desks. "You, move," Spencer snaps at the kid next to him. To Blake's amusement, he doesn't even complain, just gets up and walks away.

"In a good mood today, huh?" Blake laughs. Spencer collapses into the chair, slumping his head on the desk but turning it so he's looking at Blake.

"No, not quite. See, some idiot woke me up at fucking 7 today because he couldn't find his schedule."

"Oh, really?" Says Blake, laughing lightly. Spencer rolls his eyes and buries his face in his arms. Then, Blake actually notices the increased amount of people staring at him. He was used to all of them surveying him as new, but now they just looked shocked. The girl directly in front of Blake turns around and scoots closer to him.

"How are you still alive?" She asks, looking genuinely alarmed.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Blake replies, getting a bit defensive. He really couldn't stand the reputation Spencer had here.

"I thought he was gonna kill you," she whispers, glancing at Spencer to make sure he's not listening.

"And why would he do that?" Before she can respond, the teacher enters the room.

"Morning, class," he announces. The girl in front of Blake was pretty lucky she didn't reply, because if she had said something hurtful about Spencer, he would have killed her, he was just so tired of it. Where did that come from? I don't know Spencer at all. "You must be Blake?" Blake snaps out of his mind and turns to the teacher, who nods to him and sits at his desk. "We don't often get new kids in this class."

"Actually, yeah," says Spencer, turning to Blake with a confused expression. "Why are you here?"

"I don't know, it just sounded interesting. I like astronomy," he stammers, a bit overwhelmed with all the sudden attention. Spencer raises his eyebrows, staring at Blake intently.

"Alright," he shrugs, burying his head in his arms again.

"Well, we're glad to have you, Blake. Lucky for you, we're starting a new unit today." The teacher starts attendance but Blake starts spacing out, again. He wasn't great at keeping his attention in one place, probably why he almost failed out of his old school. Not that that was why he was sent to Lynxweather, but it's not like he wanted to go back. Blake is suddenly snapped back to reality by Spencer's voice.

"79," he says, not even lifting his head up. Blake had absolutely no idea what was going on, but he was glad Spencer actually participated in class. He'd always assumed he just didn't show up or lingered in the back of the room.

"Yes, but please raise your hand." The teacher, who Blake still didn't know the name of, then turned to the board and drew a large lopsided circle and the number 79 next to it. "Jupiter has 79 known moons as of right now. This unit is going to cover the planets and other celestial bodies within our solar system, to get a basic knowledge of them and their traits." Hmm, so Spencer seems to like astronomy. Who the fuck knows how many moons Jupiter has? He starts spacing out, again.

"Ganymede," says Spencer, snapping Blake up once more.

"Yes, but raise your hand. Ganymede is well recognized as Jupiter's largest moon, named after a Trojan prince." His words fade away once again, but this time Blake doesn't space out.

"Hey, you know a lot in this class," he whispers as Spencer turns to look at him.

"I really like this kind of stuff," he mutters, looking a bit embarrassed.

"Really? That's cool," says Blake, smiling at Spencer and resting his head on his arms the same way he was to make eye contact.

"Shut up," he sighs, turning his head, but not quickly enough to hide him blushing.

.....

The teacher who Blake now knew to be named Mr. Gi had handed out worksheets that Blake didn't even dare attempt. Astronomy might not have been the best course for him. Who, other than Spencer, knew the answers to any of these ridiculous questions? The length of an astronomical unit? Mars' average temperature? It was seriously ridiculous.

    "What's the answer to five?" Blake whispers to Spencer. In quite the dramatic fashion, Spencer looks up and sighs loudly.

    "Blake. I cannot answer every question for you."

     "Yes, you can. You actually understand this!" Blake exclaims, gesturing to his paper.

     "Not the math based questions. I hate those," Spencer mutters, mostly to himself. He gazes at his paper thoughtfully, if not a bit disappointed.

     "Great, so you like space, and I like math. I help you, you help me. Simple," Blake says, helplessly hoping that Spencer would help.

    "Of course you like math, pre-calc asshole." Blake thinks about his similar comment from that morning. Apparently mathematics bothered Spencer a bit more than it seemed.

    "Will you help me or not?" Blake pushes.

    "93 million miles," Spencer hisses, turning back to his paper. Gratefully, Blake scribbles in the answer. I wonder if anyone else is grateful for Spencer Greene.

.....

Spencer was missing, again. It was 11 at night. There were no classes or after school activities this close to midnight. Nonetheless, Spencer was not in his room.

For some reason, this seriously bothered Blake. Two nights here and this bizarre pattern persisted. Spencer staying out late, Blake curious as to where he was. This time, he wanted to catch Spencer coming back and interview him on his mysterious whereabouts.

Currently, he sat in bed reading. Well, he was trying to read, but his mind simply couldn't focus on his book. He was just too curious. Not without annoyance, Blake tossed his book aside and rolled over in bed. However, this just led to him facing the left side of the room- Spencer's side. Where the fuck is he?

By midnight, Blake was asleep. It's not like he wasn't trying to stay awake, but he wasn't exactly programmed to remain conscious for 18 hours straight.

Then, at 1:27 AM, Blake snapped awake. Someone was trying to enter the room. Without a doubt, Blake knew who it was. He had slept very lightly, some part of his brain still conscious and waiting for answers. Then, Spencer entered.

    "Where have you been?" Blake inquired angrily. He sat up quickly, attempting to look annoyed, but with his half-asleep voice and messy hair, the effect was lost.

    "Doesn't matter," Spencer replied, quickly facing away from Blake.

    "Yes, it does," snaps Blake. "What were you doing?"

     "Nothing, leave me alone," hisses Spencer. Blake can't help but notice the shakiness in his tone. Suddenly, the situation felt a lot more serious.

     "Spencer. What is going on?" Says Blake, slowly but seriously. He steps towards his roommate who seems to be gathering up clothes to sleep in.

     "Blake, I'm not in the mood. Leave me alone," he murmurs, pain clear in his voice. With that, he spins around, still not looking at Blake, and enters the bathroom.

     "Spencer, open the fucking door," snaps Blake as he slams the door shut.

    "No, Blake! Just fuck off," Spencer yells, his voice muffled by the door.

     "I'm coming in," snaps Blake, throwing open the bathroom door.