So Long To Yesterday (Chapter 9)

By: Stacy Leonhardt Gravely

© All Rights Reserved – 2011

9.

Katia chewed mindlessly on sandwich she had ordered as she let her eyes slowly take in the new world around her. Since it was the summer semester there weren't nearly as many people as she suspected there would be in the dining hall. A few tables away there was a small group of students studying.

As she continued to watch the students, Katia must of spaced out no even noticing one of the group getting up and walking towards her.

“Hi.” The voice called out from directly in front of her.

Shaking her head slightly to knock herself from the daze she was in, Katia looked up to see a friendly smile plastered all over a fair skinned red head. “Umm. Hey.”

“Oh, you're a southerner!” The fiery red head stated as she slipped in the seat beside her. “I'm Keelie.” She chirped as she thrust her hand outward towards Katia who cautiously gripped her hand and shook it.

“Katia Reynolds. And yes, I'm a southerner.”

“We have a few other southerners here right now. Where are you from?” Keelie had an infectious personality, and the ability to make anyone around her smile just by her presence.

“North Carolina. The eastern side.”

“Cool! I think Simon is from Raleigh, how close far was that from you?” Keelie pointed toward a dusty blonde head of a guy who had his head buried in a text book with an open notebook splayed in his lap.

“Raleigh is about an hour from where I grew up. We would go there to shop since they had much better malls than we did.” Keelie nodded as she smiled.

“So you new here, huh?”

“It's that obvious?” Katia nibbled on her lip.

“Definitely! Freshmen have that deer in headlights look, though most of them don't start in the summer semester. So what's your story?” Keelie asked leaning back in her seat getting herself comfortable for a rather long conversation.

“Not much to say. I thought I wanted to get out of my small town, and now I'm not quite too sure.” Katia answered bluntly as she eyed the silent cell phone that laid near by.

“Why's that? Boyfriend?”

“How'd you know?”

“Honey, I've seen it all! Why don't I help you unpack and you can tell me more about it!” Keelie rose from the seat motioning Katia to follow suit.