Chapter 41:Ubuyashiki

(y,n)'s POV
    I watched in wonderful and tired awe as the sun steadily slithered up the walls of my room after such a long night, and I let loose a quiet yawn that feels almost uninvited in the presence of the morning gleam. I dig my hand through Tanjiro's soft burgundy locks as he sleeps with his arms secured around me, so tight that; if he's to loosen this loving hug; I'll surely fade away like an illusion.

    A sleepy exhale drew out from his mouth when he shifted around in the blanket we're under, positioning his body to a better position of laying down instead of being propped up on the wall. Last night, after finally hopping down from the roof, Tanjiro and I spent the rest of the night together, passing the time with reminiscing talks of the past to get my mind off of what's to happen today. At some point, while we were slouched up on the very wall we're resting on now, he fell asleep after a long day's work. And me? I didn't get a single wink of sleep.

    My stress has been going off like flashes of lightning in mind, refusing to let me rest.

    Even with the obvious issue of the surprise insomnia, in a way... the hours throughout the night have helped me feel somewhat better. They've given me time to come to peace with the ongoing dilemma of my trial, even if it is still troubling to think about. I know now that... even if I do or don't have to retire, I'll have Tanjiro to fight alongside me to receive the best victorious outcome. I don't have to battle on my own, not anymore.

    Still, that won't be very consistent if I lose my job.

    I lifted my head up at the sound of a light tapping noise rhythmically playing a faint song on the glass of the room's window. Careful not to wake up Tanjiro in the spur of my movement, I slowly stand up, walking up to the opening to see what's causing the noise.

    Staring back at me with it's beady black eyes is my crow, and it halted its tapping once seeing me on the other side of the glass pane. Knowing that I won't be getting a new mission anytime soon, I have a pretty good guess of why my crow's here. This is a visit solely for the announcement of my trial, a moment that I've been awaiting all night.

    I opened the window for the crow to enter, letting it perch on my hand as I brought it into the building. Unlike all of the other times that this pesky bird has given me a visit, there aren't any nips of the finger, pecks from its beak, or even a single annoying squawk. All the black-feathered bird does is softly coo, nuzzling it's head on my finger.

    "Afraid..." The crow squawked out in a quiet tone ruffling its feathers dejectedly as I ran my fingers over it's slick wings.

    "I'm... I'm afraid too, bud." I chuckled sadly while putting on a half-effort smile, breathing out a softer laugh when my feathery messenger nuzzled the side of its head on my hand. It's really true, I am scared. But even so, I have to hope for the best of outcomes. False hope might not always be the most reassuring of things, though sometimes...

    It's the only thing you can look to for comfort.

    Respectfully lifting its head up for its beak to glint in the morning light, my crow finally spouted out its intended message. "(y,n) (l,n), please make your way to master Ubuyashiki's estate for the continuation of your trial! I repeat, (y,n) (l,n)-"

    "No need to repeat yourself, I already know what you have to say.  I hope you don't mind leading me to the master's estate, I don't really know how to get there." I stopped the bird before it could proceed with its announcement by pinching its mouth shut with my fingers, adopting a nervous smirk when requesting directions to the required destination. Once giving a small nod, the bird hopped over to the windowsill, waiting for me to follow its lead.