16 | D for Effort

Chapter 16: D for Effort

Edited: 2/7/21

💚Zoe's P.O.V

Now that the carrot and I share the same opinions, I thought my life would go back to the way it was before.

Peaceful and less stressful.

Obviously that didn't happen because the said carrot made it a mission to try and apologize to me in any chance he could get.

Thursday morning, I opened my locker and saw a folded piece of paper. Opening it, I was surprised to see a poem.

I'm an asshole.
That will never change.
My opinions about friendship.
Now that has changed.

My actions were wrong
more so were my words
I'm a narrow-minded person
Who sucks at doing this poem

I don't deserve forgiveness
My friends made that clear
I'm still gonna say I'm sorry
And try to make things right.

-Carrot

I glanced at the paper, completely dumbfounded. It was clear who it came from and I've seen his hand writing a few times to confirm it was indeed him.

Eliki found it adorable and I did too, but his words from that night was still stuck on a replay and I wasn't letting him off that easily.

In fact a part of me was annoyed, I thought this was what he wanted? Why is he starting to do the complete opposite things that he would?

When I arrived at homeroom, it wasn't a surprise that carrot was already there. He was asleep though, his head completely hidden against his arms.

What surprised me was the glass ball that was placed on my desk. It had small colorful rocks at the bottom with a miniature treehouse in the middle, small flowers and trees surrounding it.

Seeing the treehouse, it reminded me of the time when we went to the carrot's hideout and how I told him it was my first time seeing one.

It was absolutely pretty and I knew it'll have the perfect spot on my desk. It even lights up when you press something at the bottom of it.

Glancing at the sleeping carrot, I gave him a confused look, somehow overwhelmed. A small smile slipped on my lips but it faded away the instant I remembered what he said to me and then I became a carrot.

again.

When lunch came, we were at our usual spot. Eliki was giddy at the way the carrot was apologizing but I wasn't, well I was but not too much.

We were happily munching our tuna sandwich when Chica came up to us, carrying a styrofoam.

She didn't say anything, merely kissed both Eliki and I's cheek, handing me the styrofoam before walking away with a skip.

When we opened it, a big fat slice and delicious looking chocolate cake sat there. A small note was taped with a familiar hand writing.

'I learned the difference between tablespoon and teaspoon.'

This time, I found myself actually smiling. Food was something that I adore and somehow, he managed to chip off a tiny fraction of my anger with this effort.