Zach - Elevator

"C'mon!" I called after Zach as I ran to the elevator of the building. He and the guys were filming an interview today on the top floor of one of the biggest office buildings in LA. I had just convinced him to go to Starbucks with me so that we could get out of the building for a change; we'd been here since 10am and it was already 3:30. 

Zach followed behind me laughing as he watched my excitement. "You didn't have to come with us today, I told you it'd be boring..."

I stuck out my tongue at him, stopping and letting him catch up. "You know you wanted me here..." I slipped my hand into his and he grinned at me as I pressed the elevator button. 

His hand tightened around mine when we stepped in, and he leaned against the corner. The ride up had been several minutes long, with people getting on and off at their different floors. It was still faster than the stairs though, not that either of us could've handled ascending nearly 50 flights of stairs. 

Letting go of his hand, I pressed the button that would take us to the lobby and leaned against the wall opposite to him. "Have I mentioned how hot you look when they do your hair like that?"

He smirked at me, his cheeks turning slightly redder than usual, but there was a strange look in his eyes. "Yes, but I think you forget that I look hot all the time." 

Now it was my turn to blush as I crossed my arms. Who could argue with that logic? I was just about to respond when the lights turned off, leaving us in pitch darkness. I was never one to scream, but instead I yelled Zach's name when the elevator car started plummeting. I lost my balance and fell to the floor, a shooting pain running through my wrist, causing me to cry out. 

As suddenly as it started dropping, the elevator came to a halt, and I flew into the air before hitting the ground again, likely bruising my shoulder in the process. The lights were still off and all I could hear was Zach and my  breathing as I tried to get up. 

"Are you okay?" Zach turned on his phone's flashlight to reveal me struggling on the floor. He appeared relatively unscathed, one hand still clenched tightly around the bar encircling the elevator. "Hey just hold still for a sec-" He sat down beside me, setting his phone on the floor so that the light was shining upward, just barely illuminating our faces. 

"I'm fine." I said, swallowing my pain, knowing that there was nothing that could be done. I tried to move my wrist but tears immediately flooded my eyes and I left it. "Are you okay?"

"Y - yeah." 

I raised my eyebrows at him, not convinced. He only stutters when he's scared or anxious. My eyes followed him as he moved over to the control panel and pressed the emergency call button. Nothing. I pulled my phone out of my pocket with my good hand but set it down in frustration. 

"No service." I said, watching him carefully. "Nothing there either?" 

He shook his head at me and sat down in the corner, turning so I couldn't see his face. I bit my lip as the pain from my wrist became almost unbearable, refusing to let myself show the pain. 

"Zach, are you okay?" He was never like this, always making the most of any daunting experience. He would also never pass up an opportunity to crack a joke, and the fact that he wasn't showed something was wrong. 

"I - I'm fine." Zach gasped and I crawled over to him. 

"I haven't heard you stutter in a really long time," I said, turning him by his elbow so that he was facing me. "are you sure that you're fine?"

His chest rose and fell rapidly and he blinked fast, tears threatening to fall. My eyes widened and I reached out, brushing the hair away from his face.